Technical Glow plug light/horn/light issues!

Currently reading:
Technical Glow plug light/horn/light issues!

MurvT

Hello,
I've got a Fiat Ducato 1998 2.5 14.

This morning about a minute after starting the engine the glow plug light came on, I could hear the relay clicking and it was flashing for a little while. I restarted the engine and it did it again. Restarted a second time and it settled. Drove 6 miles, picked up something and then drove 6 miles back no issues. Hit my horn on a corner just before my house and it didn't work, but the glow plug light started flashing and clicking again.

I also noticed in the last mile or two of the drive that my temp gauge was up a little higher than normal, it's usually sitting just under 90, but was bang on it at this point.

Just tested it again on the driveway and it appears if the lights are off - the glow plug light doesn't flash, and the horn works. If the headlights are on - then the light flashes and I can hear the relay clicking and horn doesn't work.

After looking at the other threads here I am thinking earth wire/s or just a loose wire somewhere, but can anyone advise if they've had this particular issue as the combination of eccentricities seems different to previous posts on here!!

My mechanic can't fit me in and I'm due to be driving off in a few days for a trip. Can anyone advise as to what they think the issue is, and how I might go about sorting it? I've looked for wiring diagrams but have struggled to find any!

Thanks in advance.

Hi :)

General advice..

Yes its electrical.. ;)

Probably a poor earth..

Worth cleaning up the under bonnet ones..

And maybe running a boostercable : jumplead
From battery to motor casings ;)

My marea jtd did this randomly..
At one point temp gauge went sky high on m.way

Had to abandon a trip to the FF annual meet :eek:

Cooling fan didnt run.. and sometimes put on a sensor light..
so was just a dodgy circuit issue :(

No chance damp is playing a part here..??
Been pretty nasty lately

Last edited:
Back