General gearbox noise

Currently reading:
General gearbox noise

buster

Hi all,well after a great two weeks away with the croma and the van and a lot of distance covered its developed a clunking noise from what i thought or still could be the gearbox.As im sure people are aware this is a 2.4 with the assin as standard.We travelled from the isle of wight to west cornwall which is a good drag,i may have been to hard on it up the A30,driving it in manual and making it hold the higher gears up the hills,we wernt hanging about either.At arrival at the site,they put us on the smallest pitch known to man which took alot of shunting,at this point moving from drive to reverse felt very harsh and jumpy.Next day when all cold all seemed well again except a couple of times on the down changes a bit harsh.Still had the clonk when put it in gear and when taking off.But no snags rest of holiday and got home perfect but still with clonk.
Put it over the pit this morning ,o/s or drivers side drive shaft inner joint (the one next to the carrier) seems to have about 5mm of free rotational play in it.Does it require a shaft or would grease take it out.
Any ideas please.

Hi all,well after a great two weeks away with the croma and the van and a lot of distance covered its developed a clunking noise from what i thought or still could be the gearbox.As im sure people are aware this is a 2.4 with the assin as standard.We travelled from the isle of wight to west cornwall which is a good drag,i may have been to hard on it up the A30,driving it in manual and making it hold the higher gears up the hills,we wernt hanging about either.At arrival at the site,they put us on the smallest pitch known to man which took alot of shunting,at this point moving from drive to reverse felt very harsh and jumpy.Next day when all cold all seemed well again except a couple of times on the down changes a bit harsh.Still had the clonk when put it in gear and when taking off.But no snags rest of holiday and got home perfect but still with clonk.
Put it over the pit this morning ,o/s or drivers side drive shaft inner joint (the one next to the carrier) seems to have about 5mm of free rotational play in it.Does it require a shaft or would grease take it out.
Any ideas please.

Two Ideas from my little grey cells Buster-- not had any experience with auto Croma but I know that on the manual it could be a prob with the dual mass flywheel :mad: (hope not). As far as the drive shaft goes 5mm is about right and I doubt it would cause a "clunk" anyway.
Best check for a grease loss is to look for it on the inside of the engine undershield (y). If some is present take the gaiter off the large diameter and repack the joint with CV grease .
Also check the engine mounts for excessive movement as well(y)

Please dont say that.I thought there should be zero play within the joint itself.When the joint is rattled it does make a similar noise,but no grease loss,i wondered weather the grease had turned hard maybe.thanks pal

Well just had it jacked up tonight with the wheels in the air,and spining them back and fro.Lots of back lash and wait for it, the clunking.O dear.

Could be that there is no grease in the joint and it "escaped" a while ago and the residue was cleaned off the undershield before it was put back on the car??:cool:
Did you have both wheels in the air at once? If so you will have all the "play " from both shafts at once?
Well worth a try to repack the grease in the tulip( female ) part of the middle joint.(y)

No i just had o/s off the ground,due to me suspecting were the noise is coming from.I wounder how much lash is acceptable.
Strange thing is when driving the clunk apears to come from around my foot area when taking off,the gearbox is on the opposite side.
Ive been reading through Do i Dont i post from a while back,going to change the oil and hope for the best.Ive been dreading this day for along time.
Trouble is what do you do,spend 10k on another similar car(merc/bmw) with 100k on it,buying more trouble or have the box repaired?Plus i havent got 10k spare at the moment.

Hi this might sound odd but my 150 manual started to have the same issue just as if a large mallet was hitting under drivers floor under the peddle box and I thought the worst. On investigation I could find no fault!. So I putt the O/S front wheel back on paying especial attention to macking sure it was fitted true ect and wheel bolts tight and now no knock!.
Worth giving it a try:)

Hi all,well after a great two weeks away with the croma and the van and a lot of distance covered its developed a clunking noise from what i thought or still could be the gearbox.As im sure people are aware this is a 2.4 with the assin as standard.We travelled from the isle of wight to west cornwall which is a good drag,i may have been to hard on it up the A30,driving it in manual and making it hold the higher gears up the hills,we wernt hanging about either.At arrival at the site,they put us on the smallest pitch known to man which took alot of shunting,at this point moving from drive to reverse felt very harsh and jumpy.Next day when all cold all seemed well again except a couple of times on the down changes a bit harsh.Still had the clonk when put it in gear and when taking off.But no snags rest of holiday and got homeee perfect but still with clonk.
Put it over the pit this morning ,o/s or drivers side drive shaft inner joint (the one next to the carrier) seems to have about 5mm of free rotaton ional play in it.Does it require a shaft or would grease take it out.
Any ideas please.

That's the trap I fell into when I spent £1600 on my auto box last year. "Well it should be good for another year or two... " I thought to myself.

The Croma had other ideas of course.

No i just had o/s off the ground,due to me suspecting were the noise is coming from.I wounder how much lash is acceptable.
Strange thing is when driving the clunk apears to come from around my foot area when taking off,the gearbox is on the opposite side.
Ive been reading through Do i Dont i post from a while back,going to change the oil and hope for the best.Ive been dreading this day for along time.
Trouble is what do you do,spend 10k on another similar car(merc/bmw) with 100k on it,buying more trouble or have the box repaired?Plus i havent got 10k spare at the moment.

Back