General gearbox gone

Currently reading:
General gearbox gone

john waddington

i thought it was too good to be true, clicking, scratchy sound came back on way to mountains, car started juddering, gears slipping and crunching. managed to turn round and roll downhill and use 3rd with half clutch. taking it out tommorrow, hopefully get scrapyard sisley gearbox on monday (there is one at the nearest scrapyard) any idea how much is reasonable to pay for 4x4 used gearbox?:bang::cry::mad::eek:

Sorry to hear this mate - bad luck.
I would say, in your position, whatever they are asking... and keep fingers crossed :cry:
have you got room for yours to have overhauled at a later date?
sorry can't be more helpful
though, are you quite sure it's not just the clutch that has broken up?

I sold two last year, first at £45 and later on at £75. I believe that they are now fetching £100-£150.

The one in Freak is rumbling in 3rd and hard to get into reverse, but I have a 'perfect' replacement.

Luckily, there is an engineer over the road from me who will rebuild the original.(y)

Try to find a local engineer to refurb it for you ... there are a lot up North, who are looking for 'pin-money'.

its all trussed up and gutted. taking gearbox out in the morning. will be interesting. hope its a blessing in disguise as the box was as noisy as hell to begin with. the rest of it sounds like a lions fart (purr/growl). will keep ye posted. thanks all. john o' the desert.

I've recently changed the 'box in my 4x4 due to a 3rd gear crunch. I thought it was bad, but after filling the 'box with oil the noise dramaticaly reduced and the change was very reasonable. I still changed the 'box over as I had aquired the new one & it gave me the opportunity to sort some other things out. Consequently I have a 4x4 gearbox in my garage. I was going to strip & rebuild it for the experience, but I've now got my daughters Cing to play with. I'm SW London area. Interested?

I've recently changed the 'box in my 4x4 due to a 3rd gear crunch. I thought it was bad, but after filling the 'box with oil the noise dramaticaly reduced and the change was very reasonable. I still changed the 'box over as I had aquired the new one & it gave me the opportunity to sort some other things out. Consequently I have a 4x4 gearbox in my garage. I was going to strip & rebuild it for the experience, but I've now got my daughters Cing to play with. I'm SW London area. Interested?

If John isn't then I might be (y)

Jon.

Last edited:

How much were you wanting for the box :confused:

I don't have a specific asking price, but open to offers. They seam to be quite rare in working order so I'm not going to give it away.......but the market usually decides. I also have a brand new pair of 4x4 rear wheel hubs/bearings, now surplus to requirement as the Panda has been sold.

Back