Technical Gearbox about to die???

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox about to die???

sauros

Hey.

I got a issue with my gearbox on my GP 1.3 mtj.
I the latest mounth when the car has been driving for about 20 min. or so i traffic. the gears is hard to engage. First i got the slavecylinder replaced (didn`t work) then Fiat check the oil level on the gearbox, witch was to low, so the topped it op (didn`t work) then the changed the oil and found some bits of the gears in the oil :eek:
The problem is still the same. The first 20 min or so i cold weather the gearchange is ok. If it is hot outside it gets worse.
Any body got any idea??
the car have done about 70.000 km.

Bits of gears in gearbox oil.... no brainer... the box needs looking at or replacing. Imagine one of those bits getting stuck between meshing gears...

if your getting metal shards in your oil stick a magnet near where the plug is.. the magnetism will pass through the casing of the gear box and any metal will stick to it keeping it away from the meshing gears.

ive dropped all sorts in old gearboxes at college to see how tough the gears are and youd be supprised when they can munch up quite thick washes without any visable damage to the gears.

the tough gear change is backwards from everything ive heard.. normaly gearboxes are buggers when they are cold soon as they walm up they get a better, but im looking at it from lorry gearboxes.

have you checked your gear linkages?

Back