Technical Gear Selection Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Gear Selection Problem

Snoo

Hi all,

The multi has always been difficult to get into first since we've had it. As of yesterday all geats are near impossible. I'm going to bleed the clutch this weekend, but for Me it feels more like actually mechanical resistance on the selection rather than clutch drag. Anybody had issues with the selector mechanism?

Cheers,

No problem with gear mechanism but same symptoms - broken master cylinder spring with mine. Had internals of master cylinder replaced and system bled. All sorted now.

Thanks Jim.

I think I'm going to check that and bleed this weekend.

Can anyone point Me to a pic of the master & slave cylinders?

Not a Multipla, but same location...
clutch-147-01.jpg

The slave cylinder is easy to change, Master is a big job, Brake servo has to be removed etc. My local garage were going to replace it but took the easier option of removing the internals from the new cylinder and swapping with the old once they realised the complications. Can be done from inside the car. Result, had to bleed it three times to get there but now changes gear like a new car. Had a link posted but the forum wont allow it as I'm a new member -do a search for it, Cheers Jim

Very odd. After 4 days of having to slam the thing into gear. This mornings drive into work was smooth. Except the awkward first which has always been there.. Only thing that has changed is the weather as it's a bit milder again. Maybe just the fluid needs refreshing and a flush. I'll strip the master and look at that spring Saturday anyhow.

When bleeding, I'm presuming to bleed the master & the slave? Is there a preferred order?

It's much more likely the cold weather is affecting either your gearchange cables or linkeage seizing up. Last winter loads of people had their gearchange cables freeze up!

Bleeding at the slave is easy, end of the line, but there is another bleeding point on the bulkhead. Search under repairs for location, hope it works! I still suspect the Master Cylinder spring.
Cheers Jim.

It's much more likely the cold weather is affecting either your gearchange cables or linkeage seizing up. Last winter loads of people had their gearchange cables freeze up!
That crossed my mind (handbrake always does!) But with the engine off the gearchange is easy. I'm hoping on the spring. Will try to take some pictures whilst I'm stripping it for the repair faq.

I have had similar problems with the gear change.
I was driving over a speed bump when the engine stalled and the oil pressure warning came on. I restarted the engine figuring that it was the jolt from the speed hump which had displaced the oil causing the pressure to drop as the oil levels checked out ok. I drove on for another mile and the warning went off but then I pressed the clutch pedal down and it hit the floor and didn't come back up.

I pulled it out of gear and pulled over to the side of the road to take a look. When I looked under the front of the car I could see hydraulic fluid dripping off the bottom of the gearbox so figured that the hydraulics had failed on the clutch. I towed the car home hoping that this didn't mean that the clutch had jammed causing the hydraulic failure as I didn't feel ready to tackle the mighty clutch replacement job as described on other threads.

I used the clutch replacement guide to figure out how to get to the slave cylinder which is the area where the fluid seemed to be coming from. This involved removing the air filter assembly and battery+ tray. Once removed I could see instantly that the slave cylinder had ejected the piston allowing all the hydraulic fluid to escape (reservoir was empty) To remove the slave cylinder you pull up a clip and pull out the hose which is very stiff so it is probably best to do that before unbolting the slave cylinder. I then unbolted the slave cylinder to take a look. The end of the slave cylinder didn't look right it was slanted like it had been worn down or something had sheared off. So I ordered a replacement and when that arrived I could see that the tip was missing from the slave cylinder.

So I bolted the new one on and prayed that the clutch lever on the gearbox wasn't jammed (it was too stiff for me to push on) It also seems like a very strange design as the rounded end sits in dish shaped end to fork. I would have thought that a better way would be to somehow bolt the end of the slave cylinder to the clutch release fork lever because there would be less play in the system. Maybe somebody can enlighten me on that one.

Anyway once the new slave was bolted in and the hydraulic hose inserted back in it was time to bleed the system. Before I did that I decided to check the master cylinder spring to see if it exhibited any of the problems mentioned on other threads. I disconnected the push rod from the pedal but couldn't figure out how to remove the piston from the chamber. I could see that you had to remove a black collar from the top of the master cylinder and there were two parts to the collar, one half of which could push two tabs through to remove it from the other half but I couldn’t then find a way to remove the collar and I didn't want to resort to brute force. I then had one of them light bulb moments and realised that if I could push the piston down and it pushed itself back out then spring must be doing its job properly which it did. So I decided that no further investigation was necessary on my part (read that as I couldn't be bothered to go back indoors and look up how to do it).

I filled up the reservoir and then put the bleed hose on the bulkhead nipple and opened the nipple. Back into the car to pump the clutch pedal about ten times, out to the engine bay to check, no fluid in the bleed hose, back into the car pump the pedal another ten times. Back to the hose, nothing!. Repeat about 7 or 8 times (the other half not feeling very helpful that day!) and eventually the bleed hose is launched of the end of the nipple and hydraulic fluid sprays everywhere! 10 minutes cleaning up the mess and then I try to refit the bleed hose onto the nipple but it never seems to stay on properly. The nipple seems to be larger than the type you find on brakes and is located in a very difficult position to get to as some other hydraulic lines always seem to get in the way.

I decide to give up on the bulkhead bleed nipple and move onto the slave cylinder figuring that any air will now bleed through the to the slave. To bleed via the slave cylinder you pull up the clip and then pull on the pipe so that it comes out about a cm (sort of half in/half out) this allows the fluid to flow out of the bleed nipple on the top. I bled the system until all the big air bubbles were out but I always seemed to get very tiny bubbles in the fluid which suggests to me that there is air still trapped somewhere.
The clutch now works, but for the first couple of weeks I had to pump the clutch pedal a couple of times before it would go into gear sometimes. It has settled down a bit more now but I suspect that I need to bleed it through better but haven't had the time to do it so far. I may invest in an eezibleed system to try and make life a bit easier. It should be possible to get to the slave cylinder to bleed it without removing the battery but it would be necessary to remove the air filter box

Attachments

• slave.jpg
    slave.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
The problem I had is that the master cylinder spring will push back, even when broken, but not as much as it should. So the clutch pedal operates as normal but the master cylinder does not operate sufficiently for the slave to properly disengage the clutch. That is my opinion but I could be wrong, I'm mainly going on what fixed mine:)
Cheers Jim

Had a look at the master cylinder this morning. It was weeping a tiny bit. Removed the strut and the little white piston. Is the spring under the white piston as I haven't found it yet!? Had to order the new Master Cyl so the car is stuck on the drive now.

Couldn't seem to find where to clamp the master cylinder pipe to stop the fluid pouring out so its a bit messy, though not too bad. Got some photos so far though.

Tried to post a link Snoo but still not allowed because I'm a new member. Hopefully this post will be sufficient to allow me to do so. If not I'll try and direct you to it.

Well seems the spring was ok. But it had been leaking. Have put it back together with the new internals and waiting for the hailstones to stop so I can bleed it!

Back