Technical Fuel gauge showing full

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel gauge showing full

Paul106xsi

Hi All,

My fuel gauge has done a few strange things in the past (gone all the way passed full and then a bit) but generally sorts itself out after a few starts. The latest issue is that the dial constantly says it's full.

I can use the 'Range to empty' and the fuel warning light still work but I'm looking to sell it soon and want to have as few faults as possible! anyone know what's going on? I've seen a few posts where the gauge shows empty but none where it's stuck on full.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it does. I've tried filling it up with fuel, just in case the float was stuck, but wishful thinking!

If it's still showing full even when the car is turned off then it's an instrument problem rather than a car / tank sender or wiring problem. Well spotted Flisko.

First thing to try is to see if it's just a simple case of the needle having gotten stuck. Might sound silly but if you don't often brim the tank it could just be a stuck needle - you can hope?

You'll have to remove the panel to resolve.

To remove the instrument panel, drop the steering wheel right down and pull the steering wheel as far forward as it will come.

At the base of the steering column / bottom of the instrument panel you'll see a foam like material tucked into the plastic steering column cover panels. Untuck that material from the cover panel so you can see under it, you should find two allen headed bolts approx six inches apart - remove those.

The plastic clip that the material you lifted earlier is attached to should now be unbolted. It hooks in lower down on the dash panel, so if you push down on it's corners at the same time as moving it towards you it should unhook. The material and plastic clip should now be removed.

There are two more allen headed bolts in the top of the hood that comes over the instrument cluster, so if you crouch in the drivers door way looking up into where the instrument panel is you should see them.

Remove those two bolts and the instrument panel can be removed, just pull it forward. There is an electrical connection to it on the right hand side as you look at it, so if you pull the left side forward with a view to accessing the rear of the panel to remove the connector.

Take it gently as it's a little bit of a fiddle / wiggle to remove the instrument panel passed the steering wheel.

With it removed from the car you can unclip the front panel on the cluster and this will give you access to the dials and needles.

I suggest pushing the needle back down to around the half way point, unless it wants to fall to zero. Then try pulling it back in and see if it resets itself - it should if it's working properly.

Hey up bud.

It's the same as this - but is in MPH and has the Diesel RPM range (not petrol one) - EDIT: it doesnt have the tiny lcd on the left like this one but hopefully you get my drift, its identical to the one you will have in your beast but with white dials :).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instrume...561793?hash=item1c96a63f01:g:3cAAAOSwuTxV~x-E

I can take a picture of the one in the shed but will be this evening when I get home.
If I remember correctly - the car i took it out of had done around 108k (if the previous owner wasnt fibbing me) - have a few more bits of the car too like the silvery grey door controls to match the silvery grey stereo, heaters etc - i dont have all the heater vents though (son broke some taking them out).

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back