Technical Front Grill Modification

Currently reading:
Technical Front Grill Modification

I have had problems with my condenser being damaged by stones going through the very open lower grill in my Abarth Aniversario, I have placed posts prior to this one relating to this, The air conditioning rad is very easy to damage when a stone hits it, this is NOT covered by any warranty. Hence I found on ebay some black plastic chicken mesh, cut it to the same shape sa the lower grill and used small black cable ties to hold it in place. I fitted this 3 weeks ago, in the back of my mind I did have a little worry it may restrict the airflow , but NO! I have just returned from a trip round the Cotswolds with an outside temp of 25 deg, the dashboard temp stayed midway as it should be. When I returned home it was amazing how much debris had been stoped from going through the original holes.. I actually doubled the mesh & fitted it to the front grill, I would have preferred to have placed it behind but this would have meant removing the whole front bumper (too much hassle) Astheticaly unless you look closely no one would notice the modification but the benefits are rely great. Hope this is helpful. Barry
IMG_3061.jpeg
IMG_3063.jpeg

I have had problems with my condenser being damaged by stones going through the very open lower grill in my Abarth Aniversario, I have placed posts prior to this one relating to this, The air conditioning rad is very easy to damage when a stone hits it, this is NOT covered by any warranty. Hence I found on ebay some black plastic chicken mesh, cut it to the same shape sa the lower grill and used small black cable ties to hold it in place. I fitted this 3 weeks ago, in the back of my mind I did have a little worry it may restrict the airflow , but NO! I have just returned from a trip round the Cotswolds with an outside temp of 25 deg, the dashboard temp stayed midway as it should be. When I returned home it was amazing how much debris had been stoped from going through the original holes.. I actually doubled the mesh & fitted it to the front grill, I would have preferred to have placed it behind but this would have meant removing the whole front bumper (too much hassle) Astheticaly unless you look closely no one would notice the modification but the benefits are rely great. Hope this is helpful. BarryView attachment 429225View attachment 429224
Photo of plastic chicken wire from ebay
IMG_2759.jpeg

I have had problems with my condenser being damaged by stones going through the very open lower grill in my Abarth Aniversario, I have placed posts prior to this one relating to this, The air conditioning rad is very easy to damage when a stone hits it, this is NOT covered by any warranty. Hence I found on ebay some black plastic chicken mesh, cut it to the same shape sa the lower grill and used small black cable ties to hold it in place. I fitted this 3 weeks ago, in the back of my mind I did have a little worry it may restrict the airflow , but NO! I have just returned from a trip round the Cotswolds with an outside temp of 25 deg, the dashboard temp stayed midway as it should be. When I returned home it was amazing how much debris had been stoped from going through the original holes.. I actually doubled the mesh & fitted it to the front grill, I would have preferred to have placed it behind but this would have meant removing the whole front bumper (too much hassle) Astheticaly unless you look closely no one would notice the modification but the benefits are rely great. Hope this is helpful. BarryView attachment 429225View attachment 429224
If you need something to stop smaller gravel you can also get mouse or rodent mesh. Normally comes with square or rectangular holes with a choice of sizes. Over the years I’ve seen it with holes from 2 to 6 mm squares up to something like 6 mm x 12 mm. Normally in galvanised but I’ve also seen stainless in some sizes.

Don’t t be tempted to going for smaller holes as they soon clog with leaves, paper, plastic and other detritus…much like the condenser and rad does.
It does seem that most cars, not just Fiat, have the condenser positioned to take full advantage of anything and everything destroying them!

Don’t t be tempted to going for smaller holes as they soon clog with leaves, paper, plastic and other detritus…much like the condenser and rad does.
It does seem that most cars, not just Fiat, have the condenser positioned to take full advantage of anything and everything destroying them!
My MG had stainless mesh with square holes around 12 or 15 mm which looked good and worked well. Never had any damage or blockage so must have been the sweet spot size wise. I believe Robinsons do stainless mesh around that size.

My MG had stainless mesh with square holes around 12 or 15 mm which looked good and worked well. Never had any damage or blockage so must have been the sweet spot size wise. I believe Robinsons do stainless mesh around that size.

Wire Cloth

Was this stainless steel wire mesh? square openings like what is seen here:

If so - I believe in the long run you are creating a problem for yourself with openings that are this small.

In general, what I have seen in the past is that performance wise - you do not want openings that small - PLUS - circular openings generally perform much better.

Physical look is secondary to performance - ALWAYS.

Wire Cloth

Was this stainless steel wire mesh? square openings like what is seen here:

If so - I believe in the long run you are creating a problem for yourself with openings that are this small.

In general, what I have seen in the past is that performance wise - you do not want openings that small - PLUS - circular openings generally perform much better.

Physical look is secondary to performance - ALWAYS.
Not really much like the opening picture of your link. The MG grill had a much finer wire. My car was a MG ZR 160, pre face lift and it was the standard grill so there were a several around with the same mesh. Quite a while ago now but whatever size the mesh was I can definitely say that I never had a problem with any damage or blockage. Never heard of anyone with that model having a problem either.

Not really much like the opening picture of your link. The MG grill had a much finer wire. My car was a MG ZR 160, pre face lift and it was the standard grill so there were a several around with the same mesh. Quite a while ago now but whatever size the mesh was I can definitely say that I never had a problem with any damage or blockage. Never heard of anyone with that model having a problem either.
Glad to hear that! I tend to be a pessimist, and always look out for the worst case scenarios.... Upwards and onwards!

No I agree that is much too close & restrictive, if you look at the beginning of my post there is a close up photo, the mesh is soft black plastic, it works 100% I fitted it in the summer when it was over 35 deg. The temp on the dash has stayed exactly where it should be. The one thing is I am not getting any debris hitting the radiator behind it. The original standard grill is definitely to ventilated, it proves it as when I took the car in to an Abarth agent to complain the gas had leaked from the air conditioning, straight away they said “oh we get that happen all the time, the stones go through the open grill at the front & piercing the condenser & sorry its not under your warranty“

Back