Technical Forte oil additive any good ?

Currently reading:
Technical Forte oil additive any good ?

I have a slight knock on the top end of my punto and I was wondering if this stuff is any good ? yesterday I took the spray bar off and cleaned that , my can has done about 88,000 miles so just wondering if that might help not just the knocking but the oil/engine in general

No, it won't do any good, don't waste your money.

Instead, diagnose the issue properly, then decide what can be done.

As engines wear, they can produce a knocking noise when cold, due to the piston moving in the bore, called 'piston slap'. If this is what you can hear, it should disappear after a few minutes, and can be ignored.

If the knocking is always there, we need to determine what is causing it. Usually a knock suggests bigger clearances than meant to be. No oil will fill the gap. You have cleaned the spray bar, suggesting you thought there was a need. If it was necessary, any damage due to insufficient oil will not go away unless worn components are replaced. But that may not be necessary, so don't panic yet.

Lack of oil at the top end may have caused worn cam lobes. If the face hardening has gone, it will need replacing as wear will be rapid even with the best oil. But if not gone through, keeping oil in may mean just living with the noise.

Have you checked the valve clearances? Would be a good place to start. Then report back. Plus any comments on the above.

I'm assuming a petrol engine. More details would be good. 1.2, 1.4, 8v, 16v, etc.

bill, this piston slap you were talking about, will syntetic oil of same viscosity or thicker one perhaps lower the aforementioned noise?

Thanks lads yes it is a 1.2 8v sorry about that the spray bar was not clogged but I took it off and cleaned it anyway being as I had the cover off . It is not a noisy knock just something I can hear when I am listening to the engine on tick over in fact it starts a few mins after I have started the engine. Thanks bill for all the advice

Last edited:
bill, this piston slap you were talking about, will syntetic oil of same viscosity or thicker one perhaps lower the aforementioned noise?
No. This is due to the clearance of the piston in the bore, which reduces as the piston expands as it heats up. There is little oil on the bores at startup, and different oils will not change this. It is considered a 'characteristic' of many engines and is nothing to worry about.

Thanks lads yes it is a 1.2 8v sorry about that the spray bar was not clogged but I took it off and cleaned it anyway being as I had the cover off . It is not a noisy knock just something I can hear when I am listening to the engine on tick over in fact it starts a few mins after I have started the engine. Thanks bill for all the advice
Sometime, check the valve clearances.
Otherwise, you'll need to listen carefully to identify where exactly the noise is coming from. Very difficult to diagnose via forum.

Back