Technical flat spots!!

Currently reading:
Technical flat spots!!

my car has been running just fine, then today while I was fixing the washer pipe [it had come apart at its join behind the slam panel] I noticed that the vacuum pipe leading into the air control valve had broken off at the joint, on running the engine I could feel vacuum at the end of the pipe where it had come away, so I plugged it as no repair was possible other than replacing the vacuum air control valve.

Then I removed the air control valve to check it was ok, it was stuck in the position that allows air from the front of the car [cold air] to the filter housing.

I took care not to disturb anything else.

Upon running the car this evening it seems to have lots of different flat spots up the rev range to about *4000rpm [I dont tend to rev it more than that anyway, could it go more safely?] I assume that beforehand the map sensor might not have got a proper reading due to the air leak, now that air leak is no more will the ecu have to learn the new readings? will it get better?

flat spots continued after the engine got warm

any ideas?

*edit: it feels a bit lifeless now up to 3000 rpm, approx

Last edited:
not a clue on your problem, however the engine should safely hit 6000 rpm and the engine won't hit the limiter till 7200 rpm (cinq/mk1 sei) or 6500 (mk2 sei). From what I understand the Mk2 only limits to 6500 due to the coil packs not being able to work faster without frying.

Resetting the ECU often makes the ECU relearn quicker as it's going from a middle-of-the-road map rather than a biased one.

If it's this bit that's snapped, it's a pretty easy repair. Take a peice of Q tip tube, cut to size so there's a little overlap at the intake side and push and superglue into position in the take off tube. Superglue the whole thing in place to keep it in position and then use araldite to reinforce the break. Leave overnight.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 19
Back