Technical First Service - Some Issues

Currently reading:
Technical First Service - Some Issues

MarkSims

Hi Guys,

Just had the Bravo serviced for the first time since buying it in November. Always daunting when you're getting a second hand car at the best of times...

Anyway, I had high hopes all would be well, but not the case. Need both front lower suspension arms replacing as there was play in both causing the car to pull to the left on occaisions and has balded the inside of both front tyres. Is this an easy enough job to do at home? Or do I need to take it in? I was quoted £290 to fix that.

Also, this is the one that's annoyed me. I bought the car under the impression the timing belt/pump were done in Feb 15, it's in the service book as having it done. But, from today i've been told the water pump is leaking and need a new timing belt and pump kit put on. Anyone had this happen before? Does it sound possible after only being on the car for a year?

Cheers,
Mark

Only the first 3 services were done at the dealer, the one when the timing belt was done by an independent garage somewhere in Derbyshire, doubt it will have been a genuine part.

I'd get a second opinion on the need for both jobs.

If the pump is leaking, can you see the leak? Any lowering of coolant level in the expansion bottle? Any leaks underneath the car? Does the engine run hotter than normal, cooling fan cutting in more than normal?
It's possible to have a 'cooling system pressure test' carried out to check for and locate any leaks.

Lower suspension arms can be changed at home with normal tools, jack and axle stands. You'll need to have the tracking checked/adjusted afterwards as a minimum and ideally a full wheel alignment carried out.

On some cars, it's possible to just replace the lower ball joint if that's all that's worn i.e. suspension arm and bushes are still o.k. but I don't know if this is possible on a Bravo.

Al.

Had the car up this morning and gave it a good inspection, I can't see any real issues to be honest. Rang the garage back and spoke to the owner this time who remembered overhearing the conversation and he said he wouldn't have said to do it straight away, but get new tyres and the tracking done and see what happens, so I'm assuming if there was an issue it was only minor and the guy we were dealing with was just trying to get the job in quickly...

Resolved the water pump issue from ringing up the garage who did the timing belt and they have on record the pump was leaking but was replaced and it'll just be old residue in the engine bay from then. Coolant level isn't dropping anyway.

Now, onto my new issue from today. Hit a bit of a pothole (hard not to do sometimes round these parts) and my radio died, no power to it at all now! Since I've had the car the speakers were intermittent depending on bumps and would cut out, then come back (often by opening and shutting the glove box). Anyone had any connection issues like this? Is likely to be the wiring in behind the glovebox as opposed to going into the head unit?

Hi Mark, sorry can't help with the radio, but it sounds like loose/ dodgy wiring. Regarding the other jobs that were flagged up, I'm an old cynic & always check/look for myself, when things are pointed out. Obviously you have done some detective work & come up with your own conclusions.

It pays literally at times to double check things oneself, often overlooked by the novice/trusting person.

Back