Technical Finishing 71 500F

Currently reading:
Technical Finishing 71 500F

walloon

Gentlemen, I have had my 500 for about a month. Engine and Body done well but previous owner stopped there. I just put new wheels and tires on and working on other misc. items. Does anyone know what the lug nuts should be torqued to? Also, horn doesn't work. How is the horn button removed? Tried to pry it off gently with no success. One more question; Is the size of the engine displayed on the engine where the serial number is? How do you tell what size engine you have?

Gentlemen, I have had my 500 for about a month. Engine and Body done well but previous owner stopped there. I just put new wheels and tires on and working on other misc. items. Does anyone know what the lug nuts should be torqued to? Also, horn doesn't work. How is the horn button removed? Tried to pry it off gently with no success. One more question; Is the size of the engine displayed on the engine where the serial number is? How do you tell what size engine you have?
Wheel bolts (lug nuts to our American cousins) should be tightened to between 32.5/39.8ft.lb. (4500/5500kg.mm.) As far as I am aware, the horn button is only pushed into the steering wheel boss, and held in place with a 'ring-spring'. You should be able to put a blade between the horn-button trim-ring and the boss of the steeing wheel and ease it out.
Engine capacity is 'shown' by the engine number, which is on a machined surface by the fuel pump. If it starts with '110' it is a 500 (or at least, 500 based) engine. If it starts with a 126A, it is a Mk 1 '126 engine of 594cc capacity, and if it starts with 126A1, it is a 652cc capacity engine (Mk2 '126)

Wheel bolts (lug nuts to our American cousins) should be tightened to between 32.5/39.8ft.lb. (4500/5500kg.mm.) As far as I am aware, the horn button is only pushed into the steering wheel boss, and held in place with a 'ring-spring'. You should be able to put a blade between the horn-button trim-ring and the boss of the steeing wheel and ease it out.
Engine capacity is 'shown' by the engine number, which is on a machined surface by the fuel pump. If it starts with '110' it is a 500 (or at least, 500 based) engine. If it starts with a 126A, it is a Mk 1 '126 engine of 594cc capacity, and if it starts with 126A1, it is a 652cc capacity engine (Mk2 '126)
Thank you very much for the prompt reply!

Thank you very much for the prompt reply!
I was able to determine that it has a 126A1 motor which is interesting as the salesman sold it as having a stock 500 engine. I bought a gasket kit for a 500f so now have to determine whether that will work on this 652CC engine.

I was able to determine that it has a 126A1 motor which is interesting as the salesman sold it as having a stock 500 engine. I bought a gasket kit for a 500f so now have to determine whether that will work on this 652CC engine.
Most of the gaskets will, but the head gasket will NOT---bet you thought "this is quick for a 500!"

Most of the gaskets will, but the head gasket will NOT---bet you thought "this is quick for a 500!"
Actually, when I put the new tires and wheels on and ran it thru the gears I was surprised at the amount of torque in 3rd gear and became suspicious about whether there was some tuning done on it which is why I decided to check the engine numbers. What is the difference between a 126A and 126A1?

Actually, when I put the new tires and wheels on and ran it thru the gears I was surprised at the amount of torque in 3rd gear and became suspicious about whether there was some tuning done on it which is why I decided to check the engine numbers. What is the difference between a 126A and 126A1?
58cc, 1bhp, 2ft.lb of torque and a slightly different model carb (but both 28IMB)---not a lot really.

Back