Technical Fiat Stilo Engine

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Stilo Engine

Hey guys,
I've put a thing up in the classifieds but thought i'd ask here too as it is fairly urgent!
I'm looking for an engine for an Abarth SS.
anyone know if there is one somewhere?
The one i currently have has run its main bearings and is totally shot so needs replacing.

On a side note, whats the difference with the old 2.0 20v Coupe/HGT motor?
are the internals similar?
Is the 2.4 a bored out 2.0?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Cheers
FDU

Hey guys,
I've put a thing up in the classifieds but thought i'd ask here too as it is fairly urgent!
I'm looking for an engine for an Abarth SS.
anyone know if there is one somewhere?
The one i currently have has run its main bearings and is totally shot so needs replacing.

On a side note, whats the difference with the old 2.0 20v Coupe/HGT motor?
are the internals similar?
Is the 2.4 a bored out 2.0?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Cheers

FDU

More chance of finding hens teeth I'm afraid fella! This is the way of things for the 2.4 motor unfortunately, they drink oil then self destruct!

Would be nice to know what mileage cos most go at around the 50K mark..

Hi Phil :wave: Where abouts has this come from? I'm really interested as it'll be good to try and get a corellation of the actual issue, against mileage, against service history. I'm wondering how much of these engine issues are actually down to poor lubrication due to low oil when people don't check their oil as recommended in the owners manual :doh: It's really easy to run low in the Abarth and get a low oil pressure warning... and then it's already too late with the big end bearing shells burnt to buggery :cry:

Hi Phil :wave: Where abouts has this come from? I'm really interested as it'll be good to try and get a corellation of the actual issue, against mileage, against service history. I'm wondering how much of these engine issues are actually down to poor lubrication due to low oil when people don't check their oil as recommended in the owners manual :doh: It's really easy to run low in the Abarth and get a low oil pressure warning... and then it's already too late with the big end bearing shells burnt to buggery :cry:

quite common knowledge mate, most of the engines go about this mark, but also usually tie in with poor maintanence too, as you said, its very easy to run low on the black stuff, when i killed my 1st engine, it was down too poor lubrication, partly me for not checking and partly due to the garage leaving flushing oil in instead of the propper stuff.

anyway, i made a point of checking my oil levels every weekend after this(y)

what does it take to pull the dipstick out:confused:

keep it checked and she will live almost forever,having said that all the bottom end ad gone in mine,and it still drove:slayer::slayer:

quite common knowledge mate

This is the thing, it's common knowledge but is this knowledge just propogated by the forum as a "I've heard it from someone else so I'm going to say it as well" kind of common knowledge. Once it gets repeated enough and heard enough, then it becomes like gospel and pity the fool who who questions it! :D

I'll be honest and say that since I've been of the forum, I've heard about more JTD engines having terminal issues than 2.4's. I've read elsewhere that there aren't any issues with the 2.4 that would cause the 2.4 to go at the magic 50k... just a poor maintenance history.

Repeat after me,

"There aren't any issues with the 2.4"

If we say it enough... it might become the truth! :D

this one had done about 60k (km not miles)
bugger, looks like it will be a $21,000 new engine then :eek:

Just seen you are from NZ. Not many Stilos down there, (I am from Christchurch, but live in the UK now) although there was a guy from Hamilton with one on this Forum. It may well be worth you fixing yours as Abarths are worth more in NZ than in the UK where they cost peanuts. Take it to an engine reconditioner and get a quote. They should be able to rebuild it, for a price though.

$21000 would buy you about 3 low mileage Stilo Abarths in the UK, so don't pay that for an engine.

Last edited:
This is the thing, it's common knowledge but is this knowledge just propogated by the forum as a "I've heard it from someone else so I'm going to say it as well" kind of common knowledge. Once it gets repeated enough and heard enough, then it becomes like gospel and pity the fool who who questions it! :D

I'll be honest and say that since I've been of the forum, I've heard about more JTD engines having terminal issues than 2.4's. I've read elsewhere that there aren't any issues with the 2.4 that would cause the 2.4 to go at the magic 50k... just a poor maintenance history.

Repeat after me,

If we say it enough... it might become the truth! :D

thats what i sadi, most tie in with poor maintainance(y) my 1st engine was poorly maintained. and was an ex demo:bang:

its a pretty hardy unit, but with some certain weak points, like the crank and the pistons. and a poorly maintained 2.4 will soon wreck these, infact a hard driven one will go too. rigourous servicing, early oil changes, etc and it should go for a long long time(y)

Just seen you are from NZ. Not many Stilos down there, (I am from Christchurch, but live in the UK now) although there was a guy from Hamilton with one on this Forum. It may well be worth you fixing yours as Abarths are worth more in NZ than in the UK where they cost peanuts. Take it to an engine reconditioner and get a quote. They should be able to rebuild it, for a price though.

$21000 would buy you about 3 low mileage Stilo Abarths in the UK, so don't pay that for an engine.

Hey if you know where i can get 3 Stilo abarths for 6,000GBP then you let me know (y)
I am the main dealer in NZ for Fiat and have a customers with the engine prob, hence why i am trying to source another engine.
The engine is past reconditioning, believe me, if someone can recondition it then good luck to them!
Oh well, guess i shall go on a further search....

Cheers for the advice guys

Hey if you know where i can get 3 Stilo abarths for 6,000GBP then you let me know (y)
I am the main dealer in NZ for Fiat and have a customers with the engine prob, hence why i am trying to source another engine.
The engine is past reconditioning, believe me, if someone can recondition it then good luck to them!
Oh well, guess i shall go on a further search....

Cheers for the advice guys

could get 4 for 6grand if you look around(y)

my 55 plate schui only got 3800 just before christmas:bang:

Just seen you are from NZ. Not many Stilos down there, (I am from Christchurch, but live in the UK now) although there was a guy from Hamilton with one on this Forum.

LOL! That was me :D

I sold my metallic purple/black Stilo Abarth with about 25,000km on the clock, as I couldn't bear to see it lose any more value. Since it went to the Auckland area, maybe it's now the topic of this thread - who knows. It's interesting that an engine is apparently $21,000. I got $16,500 for the whole thing, and now they're anywhere between $12,000 and $14,000.

I may own another Stilo one day when they're well under the $10,000 mark - a couple of years, then...

fiatdownunder, I think it would be a good idea to import a couple of complete cars from England as spares. They really are that cheap over there.

-Alex

Last edited:
Back