Technical Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD Glow Plugs

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD Glow Plugs

ben2013

Hi, ive posted this in general but just came across this section

The glow plug light on my fiat scudo does not come on at all, although the engine still fires up after a few turns, it runs lumpy for 2-3 seconds and then is fine.

Today I replaced all 4 glow plugs and the glow plug relay (which was not clicking at all) and the problem is still exactly the same (relay still not clicking)

3 of the 4 plugs I replaced were not working at all when I put them directly to a battery.

Is there some kind of fuse somewhere? I cant find one which relates to the plugs or relay. If I bypass the relay I can get a good voltage reading on each plug...any ideas?

thanks

Thanks

Hello,I'm sure you have tried the obvious,but just incase you didn't you could see if the bulb has blown in the dash. If it is OK then you will need probe the relay wires to see if they are carrying current and going on and off as they should be I.E when the ignition is on there should be a timed period both pre and post heat.

Well, colder days and the starting problems back...will only fire with a squirt of easy start. The glow plug dash light only lights for about 4 seconds. My Garage when I asked about changing the glow plugs said his workshop bible gives max of 1 hour to do, but he has his doubts since Glow plugs are behind the engine....and looks to him like a lot of kit needs removing to gain access. Has anyone an idea of any "tricks" to take these out more easily?

Further thoughts before I change the glow plugs...the dash light only lights for about 4 secs. This is controlled by a relay somewhere. Is there any way to force a longer warm up of the plugs-perhaps the glow plugs are ok and its just a control feature not functioning correctly?

Further thoughts before I change the glow plugs...the dash light only lights for about 4 secs.

Mine do that too, always have. If it's very cold, I sometimes turn the key, wait for the glow-plug light to go out, switch off and immediately back on, wait for the light to go out again and then start the engine.

Possibly the glow plug relay, it's on the drivers side near the ecu on the inside of the wing.

I changed the relay on my Ducato and the starting problems disappeared. Having said that, if it's got gradually worse it's probably the glow plugs...

Back