General Fiat Novo Uno - the South American no frills 2012 Panda

Currently reading:
General Fiat Novo Uno - the South American no frills 2012 Panda

This post about an "austerity" Fiat on a neighbouring thread reminded me about the South American Fiat Novo Uno.

The Novo Uno is basically a low spec value engineered sister to the 2012 Panda. It's built in Brazil with two engines, either the 73 hp 1.0L or the 83 hp 1.4L. It deletes the rear 3/4 windows, has a cheaper interior and fewer features.

Notwithstanding all the regulatory issues surrounding harmonising a foreign model for the European market, could you imagine a low cost Panda like this working here? At what price would it work without damaging sales of other models?

Attachments

• 800px-2010Uno1.jpg
    800px-2010Uno1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 60
  • 05 Novo Fiat Uno 2011.jpg
    05 Novo Fiat Uno 2011.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Novo-Fiat-Uno-1.jpg
    Novo-Fiat-Uno-1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 51
I love this car, and the road tests I've seen on YouTube are very positive.

I think it is a tiny bit bigger than the new Panda by the way and, dare I say it, better looking. And it has a proper handbrake and round dash vents too :) The increased ride height and tough suspension are brilliant and ideal for third world and British roads. The trouble is that too many British punters confuse glitz, and shiny chrome and squeezy plastic - ooh, feel my dashboard Marjorie - with quality; and the road tests all seem to major on the quality of the plastics as if nothing else mattered.

So we get expensive small cars, and more expensive bigger ones, with glitz and dashboards designed for rubber fetishists - oooohhh, feel it!

Last edited:
You do realise that the Uno actually came before the 2012 Panda and doesn't share any mechanical parts..............

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Mini_platform[/ame]

I meant the op

That'd be me then :D

I'm aware the mechanicals are different - and designed with rougher South American roads and driving conditions in minds, but given that the body and many components are shared with the Panda, was wondering whether this could be the stripped down, low cost (perhaps even hose-down-able) Panda for the Dacia end of the market?

I'm aware the mechanicals are different - and designed with rougher South American roads and driving conditions in minds, but given that the body and many components are shared with the Panda, was wondering whether this could be the stripped down, low cost (perhaps even hose-down-able) Panda for the Dacia end of the market?
But it doesn't share the body and mechanicals with the Panda.....

But it doesn't share the body and mechanicals with the Panda.....

That just exemplifies one (of many) of Fiat's problems. Parallel developments going on in similar product areas where component sharing would allow design, development, production savings to be made.

You mean like Fiat used to do small cheap cars before they went all Gucci on us and like Maxi says every new Fiat now has to be a bit 500ish.

You mean like Fiat used to do small cheap cars before they went all Gucci on us and like Maxi says every new Fiat now has to be a bit 500ish.
That might have worked if the cars were properly 500ish. I just don't get why the 500l couldn't have actually looked like the 500 but bigger and have had a 500 style interior. Don't get me wrong, I like the new Panda's interior, but it doesn't work with the 500ish exterior.

I just don't get the 500l...... at least the Countryman looks like a Mini....

Back