Fiorino (Mk3) Fiat Fiorino 1.4 petrol South Africa

Currently reading:
Fiorino (Mk3) Fiat Fiorino 1.4 petrol South Africa

Ripley13

Hi everyone, just want to introduce myself. I purchased the above panel van about 2 years ago for my work. I must admit, moving from a Ford Ranger bakkie to this was an adjustment, but this van never ceased to amaze me. Only thing that I started to wonder about is how can this 8V 1.4lt van keep up with my wife's 1.6 Polo and even bigger cars on the freeway? Going up a hill with all my tool boxes in the back, this van does not even loose speed, in fact in 5th gear it would still increase speed. I have driven past other Fiorino's on the road and they seem to be keeping at slower speeds of about 90-100km/h. My fuel consumption is a little bit high, but that I accept in lieu of my driving nature. Untill the first service...... none of the Fiorino parts matched. I took the van to Fiat dealer and ran the engine number - Found that I have a 16V Doblo 1.4lt engin!!

Sorry for the long post, but my question is - is this normal practice? Has anyone on the forum encountered this?? I now obviously am at the turn-key where I have no idea what gearbox was fitted. How do I verify that, because my rev's are really very high and if a Fiorino gearbox was fitted to a Doblo engine, surely the ratio's would be way out to accommodate for the extra power?

If anyone can share some insight, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Back