Technical Fiat 600D flywheel timing mark

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 600D flywheel timing mark

I am in the process of re-assembling my 600D engine. The Haynes manual says I should have put a timing mark on the flywheel when piston #1 is at TDC, so I could reinstall it with the flywheel oriented properly. I didn't do that.

Is there some other way to figure out how the flywheel should be oriented? Does it even matter? (I did line up timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets properly.)

I am in the process of re-assembling my 600D engine. The Haynes manual says I should have put a timing mark on the flywheel when piston #1 is at TDC, so I could reinstall it with the flywheel oriented properly. I didn't do that.

Is there some other way to figure out how the flywheel should be oriented? Does it even matter? (I did line up timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets properly.)
Just clutching at straws, is there any chance you can match up wear marks on the back of the flywheel to the crankshaft. Unlikely but some engines have a unused dowel hole that leaves a corresponding mark, or maybe an inprint from a scratch or previous damage?
Apart from that, if it will fit in any position of bolt holes then given the age of vehicle it is more than likely to have been off and repositioned differently in the past.

Back