Fiat 238 engine swap possible?

Currently reading:
Fiat 238 engine swap possible?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice about my 1970 Fiat 238 that I'm restoring. I have been thinking about an engine swap for a while but never really went for it as my engine was still working properly. Until a few days ago when it started to have a really bad idle and when i checked on it there is a rotten headgasket and there also is probably piston rings leakage. I still haven't opend it but I'm starting to think of the options i have in terms of swaping for something with a little more punch.

This van comes with a 1438cc OHV 124-series engine coupled with a 4 speed gearbox and it is transversally mounted. The 4 gears are somewhat low as this is a work-oriented van and i would like to have this as a daily driver so a 5 speed gearbox would be appreciated too.

Problem is, this type of engine is fairly common in it's various iterations so a larger displacemment replacement shouldn't be too difficult but what about the gearbox? I am not an expert, not by a longshot, but this engine transversally mounted is not common so finding an adequate gearbox must be hard. Or is it?

Would the 128 SOHC-family engines+gearboxes be an alternative? would any of these side-mounted gearboxes fit an OHV or TC (i'm thinking ritmo/strada, delta, prisma, etc.)?

Advice is needed for a simple swap without messing too much on the engine bay.

Thanks in advance for all te help

Probably any of the Lampredi engines would be suitable for your van - 1600TC or 1800TC with possibly a Ritmo / Regata 100 gearbox would be my starting point. Your biggest problem with fitting a 5 speed gearbox will be finding suitable driveshafts.

Back