Technical Few EGR Questions!

Currently reading:
Technical Few EGR Questions!

Dave UK

GP Abarth One Day!!
Just been having a look at the guide and also the many many threads relating to EGR's. but was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions!

1) How often would you recommend cleaning an EGR valve if your not getting any dashboard lights coming on? My cars a 56 plate with 60k on clock, cant ever imagined its been cleaned before.

2) How long would it roughly take to take off, clean and then replace?

3) As long as the negative is disconnected, are there any other ways of causing damage to the car/egr if sticking to the guide? (Basically, whats the risk of causing damage to anything if sticking to the guide?)

4) Whats the best fluid to clean the EGR with? Ive seen people mention carb cleaner/ brake cleaner. Is that this? >> Brake / Carb

5) Ive head people mention installing a swirl gasket at the same time as cleaning the EGR. Is this expensive, difficult, time consuming and where would I get a swirl gasket from? Looked on ebay and couldnt see anything!

Just been having a look at the guide and also the many many threads relating to EGR's. but was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions!

1) How often would you recommend cleaning an EGR valve if your not getting any dashboard lights coming on? My cars a 56 plate with 60k on clock, cant ever imagined its been cleaned before.

Maybe every 10k? Depends on many miles you do and type of driving like town or motorway etc.

2) How long would it roughly take to take off, clean and then replace?

20-30 minutes

3) As long as the negative is disconnected, are there any other ways of causing damage to the car/egr if sticking to the guide? (Basically, whats the risk of causing damage to anything if sticking to the guide?)

Unsure, dont think ive ever even disconnected the battery. Ooops?

4) Whats the best fluid to clean the EGR with? Ive seen people mention carb cleaner/ brake cleaner. Is that this? >> Brake / Carb

Either will do, both will help remove the gunge.

5) Ive head people mention installing a swirl gasket at the same time as cleaning the EGR. Is this expensive, difficult, time consuming and where would I get a swirl gasket from? Looked on ebay and couldnt see anything!

Ebay, approx £3? Take approx 5 minutes to fit. Search for 1.9cdti swirl gasket or 1.9cdti egr plate.

Hope this helps, if you cant find the gasket i will link you to one.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply (y)

I had a look on ebay, saw the plate but couldnt find any swirl gaskets.

Might just clean it out tomorrow and then get a gasket for the next time I do it.

Wynns do a spcific EGR cleaner which is an aerosol. Once cleaned, add 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 200:1 into the diesel. It not only keeps things clean, but also lubricates various components. No MOT emission implications (will probably lower emissions if anything).

Ive just been outside for the past hour and im not even past stage 2 in the guide!

I cant seem to remove the 10mm hex bolts which hold the corragted pipe.

attachment.php

Ive tried all manor of things but they just wont shift. Any tips at all?

Managed to get the two hex bolts undone using a hell of a lot of force!

The only problem ive got now is the two 10mm bolts.

attachment.php

Ive managed to undo the top one, but the one underneath seems impossible to do. Its in such a tight position to get too, and considering the amount of force I had to use to undo the other bolts, I cant work out a way of doing this!

I did try using a socket set, but because the thread of the bolt is quite long, I couldnt get the end of the socket over the top of the bolt to undo it. Can you get deep sockets, thats probably about the only way im going to be able to undo it.

My advice is leave the bottom 10 mm bolt until you haev totally removbed the EGR....you can get to it much easier then with a ring spanner :D

I was surprised how much crap had built up inside the corrugated tube where it connects to the inlet manifold.

Well that was certainly an experience! My arms look like they have been ripped to shreds where I kept catching then on various parts of the engine whilst trying to get those nuts off!

Got most of it off and cleaned, had a load of soot inside. Hooked it all back up and went to start the car and it really struggled. I kept on trying and in the end it started, seemed like the battery, but its a brand new one.

Took it for a good run and could really notice the difference, seemed really responsive.

Stopped and started a few times and the battery seems fine now.

Hopfully next time it will be a lot easier and quicker as the nuts wont be as tight!

Yeah, next time before I do it i'll order that part off ebay.

Shame I couldnt get all the pipes off, but I gave them a spray inside and tried to clean as best as I could with pipe cleaners.

Back