General Fancy an Abarth, but...

Currently reading:
General Fancy an Abarth, but...

dyzio

Afternoon everyone,

My current car is a 2002 Fiat Stilo Active and I’m toying with the idea of an upgrade. The Stilo was fantastic for what I needed it for, mainly for a daily 20 mile commute and the occasional trip over the weekend.

I’ve bumped into a picture of an Abarth Evo and it does look sweet. I do, however have a few issues with my current fiat, are the new ones (Abarth) any better?

- every year I have to replace at least one swing arm,
- gearbox is like the one in a truck, you have to properly extend your arm to shift into 1st,
- suspension is pretty poor and there is lots of body roll,
- tracking gets upset easily and requires readjusting (annoying at £50 a pop)

What I do like about the Stilo is that the spare parts are relatively affordable, fuel consumption is reasonable (33/40ish UK mpg) and the car is pretty light on consumables. Can the Evo achieve similar?

One last thing, I’ve narrowed my list down to two cars… anyone here driven a Honda CR-Z?

Cheers
(y)

Hello !

Which engine do you have in the Stilo ?

Stilo and Evo Abarth are.. quite opposite. First is heavy and not really a sport car, the second is a lot lighter, powerfull and a really sport car.

- every year I have to replace at least one swing arm, dont know this on the Punto. Perhaps anti roll bar linkage can be a bit weak on punto, dont know on Abarth ?
- gearbox is like the one in a truck, you have to properly extend your arm to shift into 1st, gearbox is not the cup of tea of Fiat, but on Abarth it is good :)
- suspension is pretty poor and there is lots of body roll, Abarth is far away of this...
- tracking gets upset easily and requires readjusting (annoying at £50 a pop) strange... my father owned two Stilo, never had this

Fuel consumption can be great with really efficient 1.4 Turbo Multiair, but not if you have an heavy foot. :)

Abarth spares will cost more than Fiat, but a lot of spares are shared with Fiat Punto, only specifics for Abarth. A sport car is always a bit more expensive to maintain.
And I think this will not be more expensive as Honda spares...

Don't know for CRZ, only see one about once a year :rolleyes:

Test drive an Abarth ! :)

Engine is the mighty 1.2 :slayer: hehehe, it's surprisingly revvy and not too slow.

Swing arm... sorry, meant wishbone,

Tracking... I understand where you're coming from, I knew someone with a Stilo (1.4) and he never experienced these problems (tracking and wishbone). I try to drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy (avoid potholes etc.), but the annual tests pick these up as a fail.

I've got 2 test drives to book, the Abarth is growing on me at an alarming pace.

By coincidence, a Punto Evo parked next to my Stilo yesterday... there is very little difference (size wise) between them two! I thought I'll be downsizing but the Punto is not a small car at all!

Thanks again (y)

EDIT:
Hello !
the second is a lot lighter, powerfull and a really sport car.

Any reason the Abarth shouldn't be considered as an everyday car?

Last edited:
Engine is the mighty 1.2 :slayer: hehehe, it's surprisingly revvy and not too slow.

Swing arm... sorry, meant wishbone,

Tracking... I understand where you're coming from, I knew someone with a Stilo (1.4) and he never experienced these problems (tracking and wishbone). I try to drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy (avoid potholes etc.), but the annual tests pick these up as a fail.

I've got 2 test drives to book, the Abarth is growing on me at an alarming pace.

By coincidence, a Punto Evo parked next to my Stilo yesterday... there is very little difference (size wise) between them two! I thought I'll be downsizing but the Punto is not a small car at all!

Thanks again (y)

EDIT:

Any reason the Abarth shouldn't be considered as an everyday car?

From the 1.2 on the heavy Stilo to the Abarth Punto you will change of world :)

For everyday if you feel good with (and you should) I dont see any reasons. If you have an EsseEsse check the maintenance interval, it is shorter.
And yes, this is a 3 door, for everyday use... but you already know this.

Abarth :slayer:

3 door doesn't bother me, the Stilo is a 3dr and it's fine.
The rear seats look like they are more useable than the ones on the Honda (once or twice a year).

I'm looking at standard Abarths, I haven't seen an SS for sale, but the normal one will be adequate for me. I've downloaded an Abarth manual, I'll have a look through.

Ok. If 3 doors is fine

I think you will be in love with a standard Abarth, a EsseEsse is a bit more "extreme" and require a bit more of care/maintenance.

Keep us informed :)

Back