Technical Expansion Tank Fixings and refill

Currently reading:
Technical Expansion Tank Fixings and refill

vale of uscon

All,

I'm currently replacing the slave cylinder for the clutch of my X1/9 and have had to disconnect the expansion tank from the system.

The two fixings underneath the bottle are a right bxxxxxd to undo and I don't really want to put them back.

Has anyone found a way of fixing the bottle without the bottom two fixings.
Or with better bottom fixings?

I've also got to refill the system when I've finished. is the system prone to air locks?
Haynes says there is a air lock valve under the front bonnet.....I can't find it.
Where is it?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Hi,
Can't help you regarding the two bottom fixings. They are indeed a pain.

The "valve under the front bonnet" is actually just the top left corner of the radiator. You can access it by removing a rubber plug which is hidden under the trim, inside the nose section.
There's a screw (8mm Allen key?) plugging a hole in the radiator's tank. Be very gentle with it. If you strip it, break it or lose it, you'll need to remove the radiator.
Soak it in WD-40 before attempting to undo it.

Ppalma,

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go over the weekend

Regards

Simon

I have upgraded the bottom bolts on mine. Two stainless bolts approx 40mm long, washers and two nuts to hold the bolts in place perminently. Then use two more wing nuts to secure the header tank. Makes it a doddle to remove and won't rust :)

Access is amazing to this area when removing the rear boot inspection panel.

Back