Technical Exhaust tailpipe exit behind the bumper is this normal?

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust tailpipe exit behind the bumper is this normal?

dumbledore

I fitted a brand new exhaust front pipe and rear section (CAT not replaced) and still try to sort out the not right sound of the exhaust in my new Punto.
I have noticed that the tailpipe ends behind the bumper. I have the feeling this is not quite right. I fear the bumper may work as a reflector guiding sone exhaust noise into the cabin. I fear this as the noise is worst inside the cabin but seem OK outside the car (although sounds a bit sporty for a standard system can't complain).
Thinking extended the tailpipe to exit outside the bumper. Is this OK to do in a Punto? If what will be the best way to do this?

Leaving it risks the hot gas damaging the plastic bumper.

If it was mine I would find a suitable pipe bend to take the outlet downwards so its not blowing directly on the rear bumper. Just clamp it on and if needed shorten the end pipe enough to fit the bend.

Don't extend it beyond the bumper since the MOT testers don't take too kindly to hot exhaust parts exposed to childrens' fingers. It sounds like someone has fitted the wrong exhaust, it should be bent down I think.

Many folks get away with sticky-out pipes but they usually look rubbish. It needs a 90 degree, or maybe 45 degree bend if there is space, to take the pipe down to the level of the bumper line, but not blow hot gas onto the bumper. Pop into an exhaust fitters and see what you can find. Saw off a couple of handy looking bends and get a pipe clamp to suit.

Lots of diesel cars do this check out VWs.

Well I have the standard system, it seems bend lower but the tail pipe ends at least 1 - 2 inches behind the bumper. The gases don't directly blow into the bumper as you can just see the the tailpipe. I would say from what I hear here the best would be a small extension (2 inch) that also has a bend downwards.

You might find a polished extension with turned down end in a car styling shop. Easy to fit but not the lowest cost option.

eXtreme_-_mk2b_HGT.jpg

missey-elx_sporting.jpg

173.jpg

OK it looks like is normal. So I just bent the exhaust tip to point more downwards. I just tried it out and the noise is better. Still lauder then I was expecting but there is no more booming noise.
Does anyone here know if the standard backbox is a straight through or baffled design on Punto Mk1 1.2

A short bend on the end should make sure any noise doesn't hit the bumper.
Yes, this is exactly what I did and I am happy now. The exhaust is not the quietest I have heard but all the noise goes out and is not trapped in anyway by the car.

Back