General Esp+asr+hill holder+air bag failure

Currently reading:
General Esp+asr+hill holder+air bag failure

GAV888

Hi

I have got a Fiat Bravo Multijet Sport. As one of my tyres ( front left) seemed slighltly flat to me I bought digital gauge and tyre inflator to solve the problem. I checked that pressure in my tyres was not proper -should be 38 psi but it was about 30 in 3 tyres and much less about 20 in the one which looked flat. However, I managed to inflate only one of them and then ESP and ASR and Hill Holder and Air BAg failure mesages appeared together with a yellow warning light which prevented me from starting the engine. Does anybody know what could happen? is there any link between tyre inflating and and above-mentioned stability systems at all ? or is it a problem with battery? Thx

i only had the asr, esp and hill holder messages when my brake lights were stuck on.

however if you used the pump for the tyres without turning the engine on its likely to have flattened the battery, which a voltage problem will cause error messages.

does the engine turn over at all?

try disconnecting the battery for a while then reconnect and try starting

No, the engine doesn't turn over at all. Also, I did not turn the engine while inflating -only put the key to MAR position which was probably wrong. Thx

sounds like just a flat battery. jump start, or charge it, all should be ok, or if there is enough electricity, bump start it (being diesel this requires more effort and more push speed than a petrol), give it a 15 minute plus drive to put some electric back in it

Be careful when jump starting - the battery may not be just flat, but damaged. I had a similar issue with a supposedly flat battery and when trying to start it from another car something got wrong and my AirBag CPU died. You don't want to know how much that costs :) So if engine does not turn at all, I would first try charging the battery outside the car.

Last edited:
If pumping up one tyre flattened your battery, I would suspect the battery is cream crackered. I have used my Fix & Go compressor to top up the pressure in four tyres without the engine running, and no problem.

You sure? Mine are upto 36 iirc, and I put 38 in.

Taken from 09 handbook:
Tyre Pressures.JPG

for the 150 Sport Mjet on 225/45 R17 its 2.3bar (~34psi) Medium load and 2.6bar (~38psi) Heavy load so i suppose both are correct.

Edit: Looks like all tyres are all exactly the same except the 18"

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys. I am gonna talk to a mechanic tomorrow morning and ask him to charge or replace battery. Today not only ESP Hill Holder Air Bag and ASR but also ABS failure is displayed. When I put key to MAR the EOBD/INJECTION SYSTEM FAILURE yellow icon and interior lights are flashing. As far as tyres are concerned they are all the same namely 225/40 ZR 18 92W so I was trying to inflate them to 38 psi which is suggested in manual.

if the battery is fully charged when back on the car, the errors should clear straight away. if the car is push started or jump started, thats when a short drive will be needed to get the voltage up.

as for using the compressor just on the battery, and it flattening the battery, it doesnt mean the battery is knackered, its just diesels need more battery power to start so it doesnt take much drain to make them struggle or not start, and then the battery flattens quickly on trying to start.

The problem with my Bravo is solved now. Just like you guys suggested I flattened the battery by inflating tyres without the engine on which was not very clever of me. all the errors cleared away after one or two minutes drive. THANKS VERY MUCH ! I am gonna visit this forum more often now:)

Back