General engine reving

Currently reading:
General engine reving

grandad

Hi i have a reoccuring problem,
It doesn't happen all the time but some times the engines revs or acelerates even when my foot is not on the pedal.The emgine then is going much faster then it should .i have taken it to many different garages but nobody has given me a good reason for this.

any ideas

toad101 said:
ecu or temp sesnsor, the ecu could be thinking engine is cold and turnd on cold start system causing revs to rise

From my experience, the engine revs increase when running lean. ie, when running out of fuel or an air leak at the intake manifold.

grandad said:
Hi i have a reoccuring problem,
It doesn't happen all the time but some times the engines revs or acelerates even when my foot is not on the pedal.The emgine then is going much faster then it should .i have taken it to many different garages but nobody has given me a good reason for this.

any ideas

If it happens when you are decelerating, ie, when your foots been on the pedal, Then the throttle cable or throttle body butterfly may be sticking.
Also check the pedal moves freely and the cable is adjusted correctly at the throttle body. Make shure the cable routing is ok and it's not damaged (kinked).

Possible causes:

Throttle Potentiometer Switch (TPS)
Sticking Throttle Cable
ECU fault
MAP Sensor fault
IAT (Inlet Air Temp) Sensor failing
Idle Stepper Motor Failure.

In a nutshell, check everything in and around the throttle body! First thing, take off the air inlet bx and hammer the inside of the TB with carb cleaner and leave it an hour then try again!!

Cheers

(y)

Back