Technical Engine not running smoothly

Currently reading:
Technical Engine not running smoothly

I would suggest disconnecting the battery if possible when doing anything with fuel on these cars, everything can be live even with the key off.
If it was a problem with the starting device I dont think it would cause a normal running problem.
I have had a quick skim through all the posts, have you confirmed if you have spark? Remove a spark plug and earth it to the engine hoist or any decent metal on the engine tomorrow evening when it's getting dark, with the ignition on have someone pull the start lever and see if you can see lightning.
If you are on your own and this is a last case out of desperation and at your wits end scenario, pull out the plugs to eliminate compression, with the ignition on spin the engine by hand and it will generate spark, lighty holding a plug in your other hand it will give you a little jolt......not recommended if you have a heart condition which I suspect you may be close to with the frustration this must be causing, even a slow full turn will windmill a spark. Other way would be to remove the cap and with the ignition on and the points closed, open and close them with an insulated screwdriver, this too should induce a spark and it will be audible.
If you have spark, pull the main fuel feed off the carb, pop the carb end iof the pipe into a coke bottle and with the ignition off and again with your trusty assistant, after a couple of turns make sure its pumping fuel, again if you are solo a couple of turns by hand will eventually result with fuel in the bottle if the pump is working as the pump is a mechanical pushed design.
If you have spark and fuel and you are breathing then you have all the ingredients for the car to run and then, its something like the carb or possibly timing.

I had as mentioned very similar to you recently, I was fully convinced it was fuelling but it turned out to be an electronic ignition and after doing a full carb rebuild I was kicking myself. Car would barely run, zero power, when I accelerated it would die, would just about idle ect.....
Based on that experience I still think its ignition, perhaps burned out points. The introduction of heat and hard starts and problems when warm all lead me to ignition.

Last edited:
Back