Technical Engine light and runs badly

Currently reading:
Technical Engine light and runs badly

qpad

Hey there, im new here...

I have a punto 60sx year 1994

The red injection engine warning light comes on sometimes and stays on.

The engine runs very badly both idle and when driving, there is a puffing sound from the rear exhaust and black smoke too. Its as if its not rumming on all cylinders.

There is also a hissing noise coming from the intake area when idle.

I have tried to use some intake cleaner directly into the throttle body, this did not help much at all.

Any ideas as to where the problem is ?

Thank in advance :)

where abouts is the hissing sound?
A certain amount of hissing.. depending on how hard you listen to the engine is normal because the injectors inject into the inlet manifold to mix with the airflow. Some engines you will also hear a tick noise coming from the injectors pulsing.
the light just means that fault codes have been logged.
So if possible I recommend that you get the fault codes read, this will make things easier instead of guessing as it will guide you in the right direction.

Last edited:
The hissing sound is around the inlet manifold somewhere.

The thing is that it will cost alot to get the dealer to read the fualt code, so i was hoping for an easy fix as money is tight.

chers

Hi, actually sorry, scrub that.. previous post lol some cars before 96 dont have OBDII. Just noticed.

What engine does your punto have? Was the hissing there before? or has it just started?

If it has just started, check for air leaks around the manifold area...split hoses would cause these symptoms if after the MAF sensor.

Last edited:
I just went out for an evening drive about, and the light did not come on this time also the car ran alot better too.

I still doesnt sound right when idle, its not smooth idle but the rpm is around 900 steady.

maybe just some new spark plugs ?

I think the intake cleaning spray actually has worked.

I will check the vac hoses tommorow and also i might change the spark plugs too.

anything else i might want to look at ?

chers

Hi, initially just check the obvious things,

Intake pipes/manifold for air leaks/cracks/split hoses.
Spark plug condition, HT leads. Also check the MAF sensor is relatively clean.

The light might of just been indicating it had detected misfire.

FIXED !!

It turned out to be just a split vacume hose, the engine runs good now, thanks so much for the help. :slayer:

chers

Back