Technical Engine Fault warning

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Fault warning

TangerineTractor

Stilo at the Seaside!
Hi
My JTD Engine Fault light came on on the way home last night, and has stayed on ever since. On starting, it stays lit and displays "Engine Fault". Car is driving absolutely fine, if anything, I got better fuel economy by about 3mpg than I usually do on my morning commute... but that's probably just a coincidence.

Only had the car six weeks - the warning light was on on the test drive, so I queried it, but they said it hadn't come on again, and had't since. Looked through the threads, not seen anything that quite fits. It has been very rainy over the past few days, so maybe something's got damp? Going to contact the car sales palce I bought it from, as I consider it to be a pre-existing fault, but I'm not holding my breath...

An engine fault light came on as I was driving mine home on the motorway from the dealers. I was nearly home, so parked up had a cup of tea and went out again. The light didn't come on again - and hasn't appeared again since.

Yes my battery did go a couple of weeks after the engine fault sign flashed up.

Well, just to update everyone....
The warning light stayed on, there was no change in performance or anything... so I phoned the place where I bought it - just a local second hand car sales place - and they immediately said to bring it in and they'd sort it, so no complaints there.
Anyhow, I went through the hassle of taking the wife's car to work and getting her to take the car in this morning (well it is my birthday!).... I checked it before I left, and the warning light was still on. She took the little 'un to school, and on the way home, the warning light went off! So now I don't think there's any point in taking it back to where I bought it.
Question - Does the software to read the ECU provide a history of faults even when cleared? If so, I'll buy a cable and see what it said. I guess I'm gonna have to learn to get used to dodgy warning lights...

When the MIL light went off by itself, it stays in memory like "stored" fault, so with cable and FES software you should read what it was.

Went through a flood yesterday - water was well over a foot deep... car went trhough it fine and drove on no issues. But when I next started the car, I got an engine fault light - I'm assuming that something got a tittle damp and hoping it will dry out - car is running fine. Will the light go out eventually if the fault clears itself?

Back