General Egr?

Currently reading:
General Egr?

I take it you are talking about the modified swirl gasket, and not a full on blanking plate.

Id happily fit one of those once I repalce the EGR. However its probably pointless if the EGR solenoid isnt working.

I take it you are talking about the modified swirl gasket, and not a full on blanking plate.

Id happily fit one of those once I repalce the EGR. However its probably pointless if the EGR solenoid isnt working.

click on the link i provided, its not the swirl plate or a full blanking plate, it has one small hole in centre, so reduces flow, but still enough not to trigget MIL light. and at £3.99 delivered its cheaper than the fiat gasket

Have you noticed any performance effects from fitting this plate? IE pick up quicker at lower revs?
Thanks Matt

Have you noticed any performance effects from fitting this plate? IE pick up quicker at lower revs?
Thanks Matt

Mine is fully blanked and I think it certainly responds better when you press the throttle especially from low down revs.

Ah ye, did you have to egr delete using a remap though?

Nope mine was blanked for ages just the engine light was on. Didn't effect how it ran though. Can it have mapped out very easily though to stop the engine light coming on.

Yeah I realised how stupid a question that was when I posted it.

I have seen some comments relating to blanking off the 8v and that it shoudlnt throw up a MIL.

Have you ever had your code read as to why your MIL is on? I imagine it is probably a P0401 code.

Since cleaning my EGR the MIL has been on, and reappeared shortly after clearing it, and throws up a P0401 code. I am thinking about whipping the EGR back off agin to see if the valve really is staying closed, I should be able to tell if there isnt any soot build up inside coz I only cleaned it last week, the inlet side of the valve should be dirty, and the outlet side should be nice and shiney still.

If this is the case I may have a go at stripping the solenoid down and cleaning it too.

Update....

Took the EGR off again yesterday to test my theory....and indeed the lower inlet port of the EGR had started to become covered in a film of sooty deposits, checked the outlet port and absolutely shiney from cleaning it last weekend. So definitely the solenoid, so I would fathom that the P0401 code is referencing that the solenoid is not opening the valve in some way.

So not so worried about my MIL being on now, I can clear it anyway with the code reader I just bought (£20 on ebay!!!!).

Whist I had the EGR off yesteday I decided to take of the 90 degree corrugated pipe. Wow it was full of gunge, so much so that there was only a small hole for anything to flow through, so cleaned it out thoroughly. Same could be said for the outlet of the corrugated pipe into the engine, full of the same amount of gunge. It would appear that exhaust gas slows down in this location and forms quite heavy deposits.

Back