Technical EGR, MAF or something else...help!!!

Currently reading:
Technical EGR, MAF or something else...help!!!

Edster81

Hi all,

Recently have been experiencing loss of power with my Bravo 1.9 MJet 150 bph. It is happening intermittently but normally happens on a stretch of road (which is hilly) on the way home from work in the afternoon when I am doing about 50-60 mph. When the revs drop to about 1900rpm I suddenly have no throttle response and start to lose speed. I then plant the throttle and about 10-20 seconds later, after the revs have ever so slowly climbed to about 2900 rpm and I am doing about 30mph, the car suddenly bursts in to life.

It seems to be happening more frequently in the warmer weather.

It has also occurred when I have stopped at a junction, after a stretch of national speed limit road, pulled away fine in 1st gear then changed to second and the car seems to go into limp mode. On some occasions had to put the hazards on and find somewhere to pull over, plant the throttle and wait 20 seconds or so for the revs to build then whoosh!

Do you think what I am experiencing is a sticky EGR or MAF problem? Or something else?

Car has been on diagnostics and no fault codes. There are also no warning lights.

In between the losses of power it still seems to be running ok with normal amount of torque etc. MPG is down. I would say the car is running a little lumpy.

Car has recently been serviced with new air, fuel, oil filters and oil change etc. Passed the MOT and no emission issues.

Any advice welcome.

Ed

Hi there, having exactly the same problem at the moment with my 165. Usually occurs once I've given it a bit of welly. It happened a few years ago not long after I'd bought the car and was eventually solved with the replacement of both the EGR and the MAF sensor I'm afraid. There have been no warning lights in my case either but it looks like I will have to get it looked at again. Luckily, due to its previous history, my garage of choice knows where to look and the likely solution. The MAF sensor issue was found when they noticed a discrepancy with the amount air getting through (I'm no technician so just paraphrasing what I was told here).

The car does decent journeys which are supposed to help it avoid this issue but there have been occasions (out of my control) where it was only used as a runabout and this problem usually follows.

Maybe not good news but hope it helps.

Firstly, unplug the MAF sensor. Its on the pipe work from the air box.

The car probably will limit itself in terms of revs but if its got poke, you know where there problem lies.

Friend have opel vectra and it's also 1.9 mjet 150 hp , engine from fiat. And he had some similar problems, loss of power sometime, entering enter in safe mode . He had to clean air intake and he say it's often a problem on those engines. Could be that maybe?

I've had this problem for the first time recently.

I removed the egr valve and throttle bits attached to it and gave them a quick clean.
they were clogged by sticky black goo.

The engine revs normally now but I have to disassemble and reassemble everything again because of an air leak somewhere whistling when the egr valve is activated.

It's not an easy job and my fingers still bare the marks.

Last edited:
Did you manage to get your issue resolved Edster81? Have done a bit of work on my car recently to try and resolve my particular problem but it still seems less happy in warmer weather than on a cool morning. Not sure if this is an indicator but I have a few more things to try.

Back