Technical Ducato 244 2.8jtd - Nearly a breakdown

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 244 2.8jtd - Nearly a breakdown

lancepar

Hi,
Recent event.
Ducato started as normal Friday afternoon and travelled to where we stayed for the night 35 miles away. The fuel gauge was on ¼ full when we started out and after finding our local garage chocker block with vehicles decided as we were running a bit late to get some fuel on the return trip.

Saturday, as it was the first trip this year I decided to check the chassis battery was OK by starting the engine and letting it idle briefly before switching off and finished packing up. All good.

Anyway when ready to leave, when starting the engine it cranked over more than the usual single crank and would not fire. Very strange!

After checking things, the next attempt the engine would start easily but was obviously not happy above idle and suggested from the sound that it was fuel related but the gauge was still on ¼ full, Didn’t think any more about it at the time. Did eventually get it to behave and left for home.

On route the Morrisons super store garage was shut, bugger, dunno why and the nearby garage had vehicles queuing and we couldn’t get on the forecourt so continued on.

A couple of minutes later the engine cut and we coasted off the main road and stopped. After a brief delay the engine started OK and we searched for a fuel garage and as there was one not far away continued. After putting in some fuel it started OK but hesitated on leaving the forecourt, but cleared itself and now with plenty of juice we got home about 30 miles with out any problems even after some brief foot to the floor testing.

Now after thinking it through, the fact that the gauge didn’t move off ¼ full should have set alarm bells ringing. I’ve run the Ducato below the ¼ full in the past with no problems. So either I use the ¼ mark as empty or investigate further. The gauge does move correctly when the ignition is turned on and off and the tank pump runs to prime before start up.

Hopefully the issue was lack of fuel unless anybody can suggest some other reason.

Thanks for reading.
:cool:

After a day of tinkering at home and things going from good to bad, it would only start then die within seconds,
I'm hoping it was a iffy connector at the "ItalianBox" (Diesel Tuning Device) because after cleaning the connection it started instantly and continued to idle and rev up as normal.
We will see.
:cool:

Back