General Drying things out

Currently reading:
General Drying things out

Hello
My advice would be to cough up the dosh and get the garage to completely dry the car out.
I suffered the same problem and found to my cost that the metal by the seatbelt and footwell area was complely corroded. I had to have 5 days of welding done to the area (both passenger and driver side) and I didn't see much change from £900! The carpeting and mats took at least three days to dry so one can imagine the amount of water that had accumulated.
If you love your car, then its worth paying the garage to dry the car out properly.
Hope this is helpful to you.

vivienne

I have the same problem, drivers side.
Have you find where the water is coming in...?
Somebody said that it comes from the front wing.
Anywhere else...?

Great. :mad:
anybody has pics of these points.
what are the slam panel seals?
This is a one time job, so it must be done the right way.
I am programming this job together with the heater matrix change.
Please help

Hi Orange!

I've found that even if it is a good fit, (mine is) then water can still get in. I have a constant problem with water getting in where the two seals meet at the top front of the drivers door. Sometimes I put a big blob of vasaline there - not attractive but it helps!

xs

AS DTR say getting the one piece matting out is a s*d of a job. Both seats and the bottom of the centre consol have to come out. Then you have the pleasure of a humping great wet mat to dry somewhere..3 days to dry?..more a like a week hanging in the shed.

I stripped mine out an then ran the car through a carwash to find where the water was coming in. In mine it was the bottom left rear of the windows where the door/window seal had a small gap on both sides. the water then ran down inside the hood frame and soaked into the mat from behind.

The bar the seats sits on has holes in it..any water from behind just runs through. I sealed this up and fixed the gap in the window with a strip of old wiper rubber..this stuff is excellent for re-inforcing the seals.

BTW the only way to make the B properly waterproof..especially in our climate on the west coast of Ireland is a well adjusted hard top..And you can hear the radio!

Hi Orange!

I've found that even if it is a good fit, (mine is) then water can still get in. I have a constant problem with water getting in where the two seals meet at the top front of the drivers door. Sometimes I put a big blob of vasaline there - not attractive but it helps!

xs

hi shel
nothing wrong with a blob of vasiline try anything once, but no such thing as water proof roof, but i always keep a check on floor to see how bad its getting.

and rustbucket i have had my floor out in one peice, tis indeed not a nice job but its the best way to see what state the floors and sills are in and its a way to spend the day lol

Back