Technical dodgy wipers

Currently reading:
Technical dodgy wipers

timberbloke

Hi everyone,

Just changed the wiper blades and arms on my 1500 as the old ones were barely touching the screen. The wipers now start off ok but then come to a juddering halt, they then struugle to finish the cycle. Speed setting doesn't matter. If the arms are removed the wiper mechanism works ok. Maybe the pressure of the new arms on the sceen is to great ( how do I reduce it ), maybe the motor is on it's way out. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

More likely is a combination of the following

1) You have silicone residue on your windscreen which is one of the biggest reasons why wipers judder in the first place

2) The wiper motor wiring is not get the full supply of 12.4v (minimum) that it was built for - either the power supply to it is weak or the earth connection is poor

3) The motor is choked up and needs a good clean internally (just like starter motors and alternators)

I would start with #1 and #2 and then look at #3 if it doesn't work

Thanks Jimbro, seems my voltage is well down at the wiper motor. Need to get the wiring sorted. I'll try the 'brown wire mod' got nothing to lose, do you have any 1st hand experience of it?

cheers

i have the same problem with my wipers so i was wonderin what you did to fix it if you could let me know i would be very greatful

After cleaning my screen and fitting new blades and arms I finally sorted my wipers by wiring in the 'brown wire mod' really easy to do. Got the fusebox off ebay for a couple of quid and the instructions are on this forum. I also gave the internals of the wiper motor a cleanup. hope this helps.

The brown wire mod refers to the big fat brown wire that runs from the battery to the fusebox.

The original wire by now will be nearly junk thanks to corrosion of the metal strands resulting in measurable resistance from end-to-end which means lower voltage to all of the cars circuits except the starter motor.

The "mod" is simply replacing the wire with a fresh length, bypassing the old junk. The result is better voltage supply to the fusebox - brighter lights, faster window winders, more reliable wiper motors, more accurate gauges, etc.

Back