Technical DMF Checking

Currently reading:
Technical DMF Checking

I'm still a little cautious about solid flywheel conversions. DMFs are expensive items and their complexity makes them more likely to fail/wear out than a solid lump. So why would a company (especially cost-conscious bean-counter-driven ones like Fiat, or Ford - another to suffer with DMF woes) go to the trouble of adding one to their vehicles? If it's not needed, why not do without and make the car more cost competitive?

Anyway, back on-topic :p

At the garage unit where I picked up my replacement wheels today (Pothole damage claim thread), they had a few cars up on the post lifts.
One was an Alfa 156(?) having it's gearbox whipped off.
I got chatting about Multis to the guy doing it while the boss was looking for my wheels.
EGR valves were mentioned, as were clutches and rear swing-arm bushes, but when I mentioned DMFs, he said, 'Oh, we just fit a one-piece whenever we have to do one."
Apparently, the solid flywheel, and clutch unit from the petrol Alfa 156 (I think it was the 156) bolts straight in to the JTD engines.

Don't quote me on it though, give them a ring...
http://www.soloitalia.co.uk/
Doh!!
I did a clutch/DMF on mine over Christmas. Would have liked to have looked into this. Interestingly when I was in Europarts both the guy in front of Me and the guy behind were buying clutch kits and DMF's. Though I didn't catch which models they were for.

I still have the old DMF to hand if anyone would like photos/ measurements to investigate?

Back