General Diesel or...

Currently reading:
General Diesel or...

carlorff

Hello everyone, I was reading a few Volkswagen forums and I read that many of the drivers use heating oil or fuel oil in their TDI engines instead of diesel. Any of you guys heard that or tried it on a multijet?

The multijet is a modern diesel engine, it can't run on fried chicken juice like the old cars you've read about.

Just to clear something up. The TDi is based on common rail engine technology from Bosch who bought the technology from Fiat. Not that you would get many VW owners wanting to hear that. The TDi is a modern engine as well and you should not assume that veg oil is inferior to oil out the ground. You can however assume that it has different properties and your engine is probably not able to burn it like an old diesel engine would.

So, dont put veg oil in your diesel unless you are sure its ok to do so.

One more thing to add,

As the weather turns colder Veg thickens, until the fuel lines heat up your engine will run like a dog (n) I've been there with an old Toyota Surf, which had an inline heater fitted to cure the problem :D

As has been said by others modern diseasels are not so tolerent as older ones, stick to dinodiesel (y)

The TDi is based on common rail engine technology from Bosch who bought the technology from Fiat.

Not all TDI use common rail.
Older ones used "Pumpe Düse".. a injector that also acts as a high pressure pump.

As i recall these are the engines that don't really care what kind of diesel related fuel you pun in the tank.

Hi guys, yes I was referring to fuel oil or heating oil, and not used chip fat. I know it is illegal but many still do it, they I found one forum where someone posted that he is using heating oil in Alfa Romeo 156JTD. I never did it...put in to my Bravo heating oil, perhaps someone else did...

You are talking about RED diesel type fuels.

If you run these in your car then I would not at all be worrried about engine damage. Get caught and you will have a ringside seat as your car is crushed!

And before you say they can't do that, oh yes they can. The least you will suffer is vehicle redemption and storage costs plus additional court costs and fines.

It would be cheaper to let the car be crushed in the long run.

Anyway, your choice.

I will add however if you are using you car purely off road where no vehicle tax and insurance is required then you can put whatever you like in the tank. So for track days, off roading etc as long as you trailer your car to the events then there is no problem. If you are competing in a RACMSA / similar regulated event then fuel usage will be regulated by the governing sport rules.

Moving on a little further modern 2010/2012 agricultural type vehicles will demand/require decent fuels and there is no real/basic difference between public, agricultural, restricted diesel fuels. The only real difference is in the fuel staining/colouring.

The fuels are basically the same appart from the tax/duty concession they attract.

Last edited:
The OP was referring to fuel oil or heating oil, not used chip fat. Of course, its illegal to use red diesel in road vehicles in the UK.

Who mentioned chip fat, I was referring to Vegetable oil (it did used to be cheaper than dinodiesel), which is liquid at room temperature, not solid.

As you say running on red is illegal, and it can easily be proved that you used it as it stains the pipes (n).

You are talking about RED diesel type fuels.

If you run these in your car then I would not at all be worrried about engine damage. Get caught and you will have a ringside seat as your car is crushed!

And before you say they can't do that, oh yes they can. The least you will suffer is vehicle redemption and storage costs plus additional court costs and fines.

It would be cheaper to let the car be crushed in the long run.

Anyway, your choice.

I will add however if you are using you car purely off road where no vehicle tax and insurance is required then you can put whatever you like in the tank. So for track days, off roading etc as long as you trailer your car to the events then there is no problem. If you are competing in a RACMSA / similar regulated event then fuel usage will be regulated by the governing sport rules.

Moving on a little further modern 2010/2012 agricultural type vehicles will demand/require decent fuels and there is no real/basic difference between public, agricultural, restricted diesel fuels. The only real difference is in the fuel staining/colouring.

The fuels are basically the same appart from the tax/duty concession they attract.

Agreed, but don't forget, the OP is in Slovenia. I've no idea what their laws are on the use of red diesel.

we have the price of diesel fuel for one liter 1.444EUR and one liter of heating oil is 1.064EUR difference is 0.38EUR per one liter, the fine for getting caught using heating oil in a car is 400EUR, and if you pay in eight days you pay 200EUR. So far as I know. I did not use it, I do not intend on using it, since I need my car and I can not afford on testing it in case if there would be some major malfunction of the engine, fuel pump or injectors since that can be a lot. And I rather use regular diesel and my car is running fine. But I read so many forums and I think of it as an urban legend, so I was looking for your opinion on that, personal experience etc.Many of the farmers using heating oil in their tractors get tested.

Back