Technical Diesel Clatter (is it a problem?)

Currently reading:
Technical Diesel Clatter (is it a problem?)

SimonDB

I have just bought a 2001 Marea Weekend 110 JTD HLX, I have only had it a couple of weeks but recently the diesel "clatter" has seemed louder than before, this only happens if the air conditioning is on and my foot is not touching the throttle. As soon as I switch the air con off or put my foot on the throttle the clatter disappears. My question is: Is this a problem? What causes it? and What do I need to do about it? Apart from this it works fine and doesn't use any water or oil. Cheers!

PS this is my first diesel

Last edited:
The JTD shouldnt be noisy like that if youve just bought it take it back and get it looked at. It may need shims of the right size putting in the rockers. It needs checking out at a garage its not easy to say what a noise can be without hearing it.

I have just bought a 2001 Marea Weekend 110 JTD HLX, I have only had it a couple of weeks but recently the diesel "clatter" has seemed louder than before, this only happens if the air conditioning is on and my foot is not touching the throttle. As soon as I switch the air con off or put my foot on the throttle the clatter disappears. My question is: Is this a problem? What causes it? and What do I need to do about it? Apart from this it works fine and doesn't use any water or oil. Cheers!

PS this is my first diesel

i have the same car as that with none of the probs above! get it checked asap..

Cheers! Yes its well loud now, still only at idle. Didn't do it when I bought it and has done 2000km since then so am on my own. Will take it to Fiat dealer tomorrow and find out what it is. Having looked up on the internet I reckon its something to do with the crank pulley or something on the drive belt because it gets worse with air con on or lots of steering lock. No this is not something to leave. Still well smooth above 1500rpm though!

Took it in this morning, yes it was the vibration damper on the crank pulley 150€ plus 1 hour. (about 200€). Could be worse....

can I confirm I am thinking of the same part?

I have a 2.4JTD and it rattles on tickover but not when revving.
Is it the pully on the aux belts with a rubber ring in the middle?
That is what I was told it would be....

Number 8 on the diagram

engine1.jpg

thanks

Darren

Sounds like it to me, thats what it was on mine. BTW I am getting about 42 mpg, is this normal? A mixture of motorway (130kph) and city driving for my first tankful 54l for 795km.

Back