De registration

Currently reading:
De registration

nemiss22

Hi how do i de register from the site as i have now sold my punto and no longer need to be a member thanks

The rules only cover personal data Afaik so would only require the removal of the persons name from posts and not the removal of the post it's self I do believe, also any personal information held on file

Name would change to something like 'removed user'

I think this is the main area Facebook and google have come unstuck insisting they have a right to hold on to personal data for as long as they want to, when the DPA states they can only hold on to it as long as is necessary

There probably should be a way to do it though especially these days with all the enforcement of data management and data ownership laws being imposed on sites

so what you are saying is that peope who take time to answer and provide input to threads can simply have that effort wiped out by a user who is too dim to think about what they put on the net?

the only 'personal' data is what the user chooses to put on show

so what you are saying is that peope who take time to answer and provide input to threads can simply have that effort wiped out by a user who is too dim to think about what they put on the net?

the only 'personal' data is what the user chooses to put on show

:confused: that's not at all what I said did you not read my second post?

Removal of personal data only as far as this forum goes that would be user account info like name and email address and nothing more.

You can set it that no one can see you email address in any case.

That just leaves 'username' - having threads full of posts from 'removed user' would be useless :confused:

If the info is good does it matter who posted it? If the member has left the forum then better it say removed user than have some poor sod, waiting ages for a reply to a pm.

I don't want to tell you guys how you should or shouldn't run the site you do a damn fine job and I've never known a car forum to run so well. Just a suggestion that this may become a problem in the future as the media and press continue to rant and rave about data use and Internet privacy, making people more aware of their rights.

Generally the odd person might deactivate their account but I think many members will keep registered on the basis of not knowing if they might need to come back in the future, I think probably am still registered for sites I quit 10 years ago ?

If the info is good does it matter who posted it? If the member has left the forum then better it say removed user than have some poor sod, waiting ages for a reply to a pm.

I don't want to tell you guys how you should or shouldn't run the site you do a damn fine job and I've never known a car forum to run so well. Just a suggestion that this may become a problem in the future as the media and press continue to rant and rave about data use and Internet privacy, making people more aware of their rights.

Generally the odd person might deactivate their account but I think many members will keep registered on the basis of not knowing if they might need to come back in the future, I think probably am still registered for sites I quit 10 years ago ?

why would they be waiting on a PM?
its a forum,people post and hopefully get replies

when i sold my punto nearly 2 years ago i honestly thought i wouldnt be coming back on the fiat forum, but now i'm another fiat owner, so it's dead handy keeping my membership

'Removed User' would be pretty annoying, I've seen threads for example about knocking noises, where some people come on and post "Yeah I've got one as well, although it sounds a bit different..". Then if Removed User posts they fixed their problem by doing such and such, which one were they originally? Not as helpful to another reader.

It's 4 years since I owned a fiat, but I still come onto the site for the banter, though dont often stray outside leisure lounge, or spamalot. It may not be the same for everyone, and we all have different reasons, but I feel no need to deregister just because I no longer have a fiat ,unfortunately.......... (times are tough, atm I drive a mk3 astra isuzu td, with 210k miles on the clock...)

Back