Technical Daytime Running Light Weirdness

Currently reading:
Technical Daytime Running Light Weirdness

brazen

Hi,

I have a 2009 500 Sport.

My DRLs have been playing up for some time. They blow bulbs a lot and are a pain to replace as you all know.

They had been out for some time but I decided to get them replaced at the garage when i was getting other work done. When I got the car back they would only come on when the headlights were on.

I took the car back and the mechanic couldnt find a problem. He swears that all he did was replace the bulbs and put unsulation tape on the crumbling wiring.

Does any bright spark here (haha see what I did there) have any idea why they would come on with the headlights? Surely they are a different circuit. The other work done was replace the cam belt.

Welcome, so are they relatively dim with the head lights on?
Are the running lights switched ON in the menu ? Press the button next to the Speedo and scroll to running lights ON/OFF if they 'are turned on you'd get the yellow warning triangle come on at start up.
I suspect you're looking at the side lights when on not the running lights which are much brighter but use the same bulb

Last edited:
Welcome, so are they relatively dim with the head lights on?

Are the running lights switched ON in the menu ? Press the button next to the Speedo and scroll to running lights ON/OFF if they 'are turned on you'd get the yellow warning triangle come on at start up.

I suspect you're looking at the side lights when on not the running lights which are much brighter but use the same bulb

What you said. I hope they used fabric Tesa tape rather than just standard insulating tape.

If only it was limited to the wiring ? I’ve been proactive and taken steps to protect mine already .. my car is only getting older and I’m hoping she will last a lot longer if I’m proactive

If only it was limited to the wiring ? I’ve been proactive and taken steps to protect mine already .. my car is only getting older and I’m hoping she will last a lot longer if I’m proactive

I've never see rust as bad as on my Mazda floor pan and sills when I bought it at only 6 years old, I Hammerite'd everything i could and again 2 years later, I think I added another 4 years to it's life doing this.

I've never see rust as bad as on my Mazda floor pan and sills when I bought it at only 6 years old, I Hammerite'd everything i could and again 2 years later, I think I added another 4 years to it's life doing this.
Well let’s hope so it hard work! I’ve been at it on my rear beam this afternoon got everything cleaned off loads of grit n salt in my spring cups had to remove lids of waxoyl first .... that was fun! Not

We will take a closer look at buddy's new 500 project this week after we finished installing the set of tires and suspension from 4Wheelonlone onto the truck. He plans to Hammerite it and hoping there isn't much rust to address.

Pk, Im a new user and have only just found how to get back to my post.

No its not side lights. They work as intended. The DRL are switched ON at the Menu. They are only on when the main headlights are on. When the headlights are off there are no DRL. When the headlights are on then the wee lights are on too.

I think Side Lights are only meant to be on when ignition off, key out and lights are turned on.

Any ideas whats going on with DRL?

Hi,

I have a 2009 500 Sport.

My DRLs have been playing up for some time. They blow bulbs a lot and are a pain to replace as you all know.

They had been out for some time but I decided to get them replaced at the garage when i was getting other work done. When I got the car back they would only come on when the headlights were on.

I took the car back and the mechanic couldnt find a problem. He swears that all he did was replace the bulbs and put unsulation tape on the crumbling wiring.

Does any bright spark here (haha see what I did there) have any idea why they would come on with the headlights? Surely they are a different circuit. The other work done was replace the cam belt.

Pk, Im a new user and have only just found how to get back to my post.

No its not side lights. They work as intended. The DRL are switched ON at the Menu. They are only on when the main headlights are on. When the headlights are off there are no DRL. When the headlights are on then the wee lights are on too.

I think Side Lights are only meant to be on when ignition off, key out and lights are turned on.

Any ideas whats going on with DRL?

Well there could be regional differences given your location, but in the UK...

> the DRL bulb is a twin filament bulb
> when headlights are not in use, and the DRLs are enabled in the menu then the 21W filament of the DRL bulb is utilised giving a fairly bright visual indication to other road users
> when headlights are switched on the other 5W filament is used, giving a low light level (akin to side lights/parking lights of old)

It is worth checking the contact points of the bulbs in their holders, they dont always align well especially with cheaper Chinesium bulbs. Failing that you may need an auto electrician to test the feed to the bulb holder plug for both headlights on and off configuration

Thank you for your reply, lots of info and things to check. Will check they put the correct bulbs in first.

Thanks again

Back