Technical CV joint (plus more) - suspension refurb

Currently reading:
Technical CV joint (plus more) - suspension refurb

Oz500

I have to replace a CV boot on my 2008 Fiat 500 Lounge (Right hand drive - Australian car)
CV boot is the left side

I think I want to overhaul all of the suspension bits, such as CV joints and ball joints. Maybe replace the spring, struts/shockers…

I am praying/hoping that someone might please point me in the direction of a parts diagram or list of all the bits I need before I start?
And tools, if I need to order myself some Chrysler-specific tools to do the job.
I’m concerned about single-use parts (hub nut staking? clamps?) but I don’t know what those bits are.

I don’t have a copy of the Hayes Manual, so if anyone has an electronic version they’d be happy to share, please hit up my inbox 🙏🏻

If it seriously isn’t something that I should be attempting without a hoist and a big bank balance to buy the tools, then please tell me. I am happy to “have a go”, but I’m also ready to recognise my limitation.

Price up the cost of the parts you're thinking of replacing first.

All of the suspension is straightforward for a competent DIY mechanic with normal tools, if doing the shocks you'll need a spring compressor, if doing the lower control arm bumper off job, think hub nut single use, at least your car shouldn't have load of rusted nuts etc

Bumping this post back up for more attention.
It seems that there isn't anywhere in the UK or USA (that stocks replacement CV axles) that will ship to Australia.
Ebay tries to suggest certain parts will fit, whilst saying the same part will fit all the other Fiat engine types, so I just know it's likely to be wrong.

The part numbers that Fiat have quoted me are:
51955478 HALF SHAFT RHF HALF CV SHAFT
51955482 HALF SHAFT LHF CV HALF SHAFT

Is there anyone on here that happens to know of alternative parts numbers? (to help me look at other suppliers)
OR
Is there a trusted person or workshop that would take delivery of these parts, box them up and send by DHL at my expense?
I get other parts sent via DHL, obviously from suppliers that ship to here that don't stock CV axles :(

Maybe contact this company, yes they post round the world, post a heavy item like two half shafts that's another thing,
You're probably looking at the thick end of £500 delivered it maybe cheaper to buy from the dealer there, any companies refurbish them over there?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Maybe contact this company, yes they post round the world, post a heavy item like two half shafts that's another thing,
You're probably looking at the thick end of £500 delivered it maybe cheaper to buy from the dealer there, any companies refurbish them over there?
I haven’t found anyone willing to refurb.
Half shaft pricing here is $900+ and $1200+ 🥴

I have a complete suspension (struts, springs & shocks, f&r) coming from the US via DHL for just under $500 (Aus) shipping for my other money burner… I am at a loss as to why nobody in the UK will ship to Australia 😕

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I haven’t found anyone willing to refurb.
Half shaft pricing here is $900+ and $1200+ 🥴

I have a complete suspension (struts, springs & shocks, f&r) coming from the US via DHL for just under $500 (Aus) shipping for my other money burner… I am at a loss as to why nobody in the UK will ship to Australia 😕
This is the reason generally you can't get it posted 30kg to Australia £282

Attachments

• 16951228012256025263659527757482.jpg
    16951228012256025263659527757482.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
I think I want to overhaul all of the suspension bits, such as CV joints and ball joints. Maybe replace the spring, struts/shockers…
I'm wondering if this really makes sense on a 15yr old car, far from its home where parts are hard to source and crazy expensive?

Personally speaking, I'd be looking to spend as little as possible now to keep it safe and legal, otherwise this could easily turn into a money pit.

Given the cost/difficulty of getting a new one to Australia, if a driveshaft is worn to the point of needing replacement, I'd be looking at sourcing a used one locally.

Ive just looked online and 'Parcel compare' quote £248 for an 8cm x30x30 parcel of 30kgs. Delivery in around 10 days. I tend to agree with jrkitching if it ain't actually broke dont fix it. If you sourced all the parts from shop4parts this would be £1000 to 1500 for parts and shipping. You will need an impact wrench for the strut top nuts, and a modified socket and crows foot to accurately retorque the top nuts. The problem is, if you go this route and the parts are incorrect for any reason you then have a huge problem and the cost go out of control. Bad enough if you have to go back to town to get things changed but shipping ten thousand miles is not really a goer. There are also the warranty issues as you wouldnt have one etc. Throw in the what if Fiat made it different for Aus and its a problem.

Last edited:
Back