Cutting Mcgard Locking Nuts with a hacksaw?!

Currently reading:
Cutting Mcgard Locking Nuts with a hacksaw?!

I need some wobbly locking nuts...I can't find any, so my plan is to take a conical locking nut, cut the conical part off, so i have a flat face, and then take a wobbly collar, place it over my stud, and have the now flat nut face, sit against the movable collar.

However, I know the metal is supposed to be toughened.....will a hacksaw or grinder see the job done? No point trying if I'm going to trash a £30 set of lockers.

Wobbly locker bolts are no good, as they don't come long enough (spacers) and I'm not fitting a non wobbly in there as its not safe and no good for the wheels.

Cheers,

Kristian

There are wobbly locking bolts, I had a set on my 100 pcd OZ wheels. Lost the locking device now but still have the bolts. Well I may have the bolts. They do do them though.

Who says they are hardened? I doubt they are, the fact there's a locking part is the security feature, not the material.
So, i would say a hacksaw (with good quality, new blade) will be no problem. Grinder will be easier, but not neat. Best option would be turn it in a lathe, then the cut face will be nice and flat.

And my McGuard locking nuts were only £6 off e-bay, brand new, inculding postage. I know that doesn't help you now, but if you do trash them, a replacement set shouldn't cost another £30

I e-mailed mcgard about it, and they said in august, wobbly locking bolts and nuts will be available.

Therefore i think I will put locking wobbly bolts on the rear, and leave the fronts unprotected.

I did notice there are flat falced bolts in long lengths on the mcguard site...not sure if they will be ok or not, I can't find any online anyway...part number 26000.

Cheers everyone :)

Kristian

Back