General Cross Wind Assist 2022 Motorhome

Currently reading:
General Cross Wind Assist 2022 Motorhome

Chris Laing

Has anyone come across or had issues with the new safety device Cross Wind Assist?

I’ve been experiencing over aggressive breaking while overtaking HGVs.
Cross wind assist kicks in aggressively as I get ahead of an hgv and slams on the breaks. It’s currently getting checked at the moment but as expected nothing is showing on the diagnostic. Most of the breaking has happened while heading north up the French motorways towards Calais and up the A1 heading north to Scotland. Every time it kicks I’m just getting ahead of an HGV.

Can it not be turned off it sounds dangerous, just a matter of time before you get rear ended.

It’s just had a diagnostic check and as expected nothing showed up. The Fiat mechanic thinks cross wind assist is activating anti collision but no it can’t be switched off without Fiat permission. So we are waiting to see what they say in the next couple of days.

It’s just had a diagnostic check and as expected nothing showed up. The Fiat mechanic thinks cross wind assist is activating anti collision but no it can’t be switched off without Fiat permission. So we are waiting to see what they say in the next couple of days.
Hi Chris, I was wondering if you can advise me on the fiat side wind assist. I was travelling on the motorway near Calais today and my motorhome seemed to break sharply and slow down when a lorry was passing. How do you know if you actually have side wind assist I have no idea. Thanks Roy

no it can’t be switched off
Pull the bloody fuse . I had a similar problem with the anti-collision systems fitted to many heavy trucks nowadays , coming to a car near you soon . On one occasion it picked up a car parked on the verge . Completely clear of the road and braked so hard it shifted the load .

It's only happened the once , because i solved the problem . Switched both the anti-collision , and lane separation systems off . Modern truck (post 2017) won't allow you to do this , so i pull the fuse instead . It's automatic now , i've been driving for 40 years , i don't need these systems overriding my control of a 40 ton outfit , the Tesla autopilot is good evidence of that . How many people has it killed , is it 2 or 3 ? .

Ha ha ha, you reckon thats what he's doing, I'll pull him for that when we go back to work....

Yeah , i afraid that's the likely cause . It used to annoy the hell outta me , even more because it didn't happen every time . Yes quilty as charged , even with 40 ton , i don't use the direction indicators every time . But at 3am with nothing in sight , what's the point huh . I discovered it by accident when i was a bit slow activating the indicator , the alarm cancelled instantly . The system works by reading the painted centre , or lane separation lines . So if you drift over them , left or right , the sensor sees this and sounds an alarm .
The anti collision system uses a very basic type of radar , similar to that used by some automatic vacuum cleaners . It's is a slightly advanced system to that used by drones , ie better range , but is easily fooled .
Not sure about wind systems , but it's likely some kind of acceleration meter , like those used in some dash cams . I have one that can read my braking effect , or how hard i braked in an emergency , along with several other parameters . It feels the sway , and reacts to that . Modern trucks have a similar system for economic driving , but that's a load of trash as well . Over the same distance , same truck , same weight . I bettered the system by almost 2mpg , and believe me , 2mpg is outstanding with a vehicle that weighs 40 ton , and averages 10 to the gallon .

Last edited:
Back