Technical Creaking sound

Currently reading:
Technical Creaking sound

Jacobartaylor

Hi, I have just purchased a 2007 grande punto 1.4 8v car, the car is great apart from a strange creaking noise that seems to happen only when pressing the accelerator pedal and is worst when moving from a standstill and driving at slower speeds, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what could be the cause of this, thanks

Have just driven the car, and can confirm its only when pressing the accelerator pedal, seems to be worse when going over bumps in the road

I think I have the same thing... I'm a little scared of it... It's like 2 metal plates striking each other.. I hope you know what I mean.

There are a lot of things it could be without hearing the sound. A few thoughts/questions:
1. is it a rotating sound in line with engine or wheel speed or just a movement/creaking sound?
2. how hard do you have to press the accelerator to get the noise
3. does it change in different weather/temperature/when you're turning the steering

Could be multiple things as GPs make noises from odd places.

If not speed/engine related then start with the obvious:
1. the airbox rattles where the front tube pushes into the holder in the front left as you face the engine. There's a rubber bush that wears out. Usually replacement or a couple of cable ties eliminate that one
2. the gearbox mount under the middle at the back of the engine can rot letting the engine move too much (see guide: https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-pu...e-gearbox-mount-fitting-powerflex-insert.html)
3. some models have subframe brace bars which run across the frame just below and behind the engine. The stock ones can get bent and rattle against the exhaust
4. if you can replicate the noise through turning/suspension movements then check springs and strut top bearings (again see guide: https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-pu...ice-replacement-front-spring-replacement.html)

Just a few initial thoughts!

Hi, thankyou for your replies, strangely, the sound has now stopped completely, i did notice that the air intake tube on the drivers side had a rubber piece connected to it, it seemed to have alot of movement and was perished so i cable tied it to its bracket and that seemed to help a bit but not completely, i have noticed this evening that it has randomly stopped making the noise completely, so im intrigued at why this suddenly happened but hopefully the noise wont come back

Back