Technical Crank pulley wobbling.

Currently reading:
Technical Crank pulley wobbling.

Hi all
Mentioned this on another thread but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Had auxiliary belt let go in my 115 jtd and it did a whack of damage.
Luckily the timing belt didn't come off altho it sustained some damage!!
Replaced timing belt tensioner idler water pump all went fine.

Then new belt/tensioner and idler on aux drive.
I identified the cause of the belt coming off as a misaligned idler... Wrong spacer used on idler. eventually pushed belt off and inwards...

Anyway ran engine today and there is an obvious wobble on the crank pulley. (you wouldn't spot it without a good flashlight..the lines in the pulley blur basically)
I inspected this pulley when it was off as I've heard they give grief.
There was no obvious wear on it and it felt fine and sturdy.

Is it possible I put this pulley on wrong or it got a buckle when the belt came off destroying all round it?

I've a new one ordered but I'm not sure there is anything wrong with current pulley.
I dont have any of the normal symptoms of pulley wear...ie judder and noise especially on full lock...none of that...there maybe a small vibration from engine but hey its a diesel!

I did put it back on in the dark... But there ain't a locator on it so can see how I could have put it on wrong???

Anyone whose had these on and off...is there scope to go wrong on reassembly...its peeing down out there now so cant go under it..plus im shagged from kiddies birthday parties!!
Marty

Last edited:
Problem solved thank god!!!
I had the pulley on wrong... There is a locator I had missed on the pulley that lines up with a little bump if you like on the crank.
Makes sense there is a locator as there are weights in these pulleys.

Worthwhile checking there is no wobble in your pulley if you didn't notice this locator like me.
As I said you wouldn't actually spot it without a good torch... There was also a dead spot in the engine just below 2000 rpn while it was likethua the past day that I had put down to a cold engine not been driven in days.
Thanks for all the help advice in the other the other threads.

And apologies for any poor spelling. iPhone!!!

Marty.

Back