General Corrosion around wing mirror housing

Currently reading:
General Corrosion around wing mirror housing

minisandfiats

Hi all again

Just given mine a damn good clean today, noticed that the metal around where the wing mirror attaches to the door is really corroded. I think it's alumnium corrosion? Can anything be done to fix this?

Andrew

It's a very common problem. I repainted the stub on one of mine. Took the mirror off, scraped/sanded all of the old paint off, including all of the white oxidisation (which has a smell that I hate!), then flatted it down with some 400 grit wet and dry. Repainted with Plastikote primer and satin/matt black spray (Screwfix sell it, amongst others) after masking off the main part of the mirror body.

Ten months on and it still looks good as new. No sign of the corrosion returning. The Plastikote spray goes on really well, especially if you warm up the bit you're painting first (put it on a radiator for an hour or so).

Really common problem. I think that the mirror "root" is made of a white metal casting (a la Dinky toys). Same stuff as the roofbar clamps which have done the same thing.

Since spending a fortune on our looser-cruiser, I've decided to get a new mirror on the driver's side (it stopped folding years ago). I don't think that I've got the patience of widemouthfrog to paint it. I've trawled eBay, they seem to be about £90 for the powerfold ones.

Thanks! Thought it might be a common problem- seen a few Multis like it. Might have a go at it when I have time and patience!

Back