General Converting 8v to 16v motor

Currently reading:
General Converting 8v to 16v motor

So firstly let me say I am considering this conversion to my gp.iv spent a bit of money on it now so can't justify selling and buying again. Also I have considered insurance who are quite happy for me to present to them a not with the new engine in and an examiners report :).

So for the conversion what will you need? Ovbs a 16v engine would be a great start. Would it make sense to change the pistons and cylinder head ect on the 1.4 8v bottom end (that I already have) or transplant engines?

Also ecus, ovbs I dont want to go through the rigmarole of new ecu and lock set, so can my current ecu be remapped?

What other sensors would need to be changed?

Iv read (on here I think) that the flywheel for the 16 valvers is 20mm thicker than the 8 valvers which poses another question on will my gearbox fit? Or can I take the flywheel off my 8 valve engine and put it on the 16 valve engine so I can use my gearbox?

Wouldn't dropping in a 14 16 valve engine be easier ? I don't personally know ,but does the 8v have the same number of main bearings as the 16 v ..?? Compared to days gone by it sees more hassle nowdays to when to comes to what you are planning

Wouldn't dropping in a 14 16 valve engine be easier ? I don't personally know ,but does the 8v have the same number of main bearings as the 16 v ..?? Compared to days gone by it sees more hassle nowdays to when to comes to what you are planning

I understand the hassle part. But as I said iv spent money on the thing getting it back in working order so begrudging selling her. That's why I asked my first question (although it could have been worded better I admit) as far as I know and have researched the bottom ends are the same. Pistons and cylinder heads are different

If the head fits with no problem i think go for that to benefit from the 8v higher compression ratio

the 16v has 17 more hosepower than the 8v, its a lot of work to go through for that. you could probably get that much with a re map of the 8v, maybe a larger throttle body, bigger injectors or an uprated fuel pump.

the 16v has 17 more hosepower than the 8v, its a lot of work to go through for that. you could probably get that much with a re map of the 8v, maybe a larger throttle body, bigger injectors or an uprated fuel pump.

Oh well... I have the engine now.... Sooo bigger injectors and uprated fuel pump and decent remap on that should see bigger gains (y) aha

Lou.. seriously.. don't do it.

Besides all the complications and expense getting it to work, there are other things to consider.

If you don't tell the insurance company and you find yourself involved in a collision where someone is seriously hurt (doesn't need to be your fault), it will without doubt carry a prison sentence.

If you do tell the insurance company, they probably won't insure you, and if they did, they will have you jumping through so many hoops and load the premium, it won't be worth it.

All that hassle for 17hp !!!

If you do tell the insurance company, they probably won't insure you, and if they did, they will have you jumping through so many hoops and load the premium, it won't be worth it.

Thanks for your input but as I already said...

...Also I have considered insurance who are quite happy for me to present to them a mot with the new engine in and an examiners report :).

I have more plans than just pop the lump in and leave it at that.

As for the expense if I sell now (after being in a crash) I won't get anywhere near what I paid out. So I might as well run it till it breaks or that.
I already have the engine, just need the manifold to finish off. :)

I did miss out on another engine on eBay that would have required more work to make fit but for now this one will do fine :).

Lou.. seriously.. don't do it.

Besides all the complications and expense getting it to work, there are other things to consider.

If you don't tell the insurance company and you find yourself involved in a collision where someone is seriously hurt (doesn't need to be your fault), it will without doubt carry a prison sentence.

you get prison for causing death by dangerous driving, not a technicality on your insurance. i agree with most of the other points though.

Sounds like a good little project, and you seem committed to doing it the right way.

It's the 'lol can i stik a mjet engin in my 1.2 lol

Thanks :) I just want a nice project to do over the summer, nice and *cheap* haha and so what if it only gives me 17hp extra as standard. According to general consensus, 10%more HP is when you can notice it. So 17hp is 20%+ more so I'll be able to notice it :D

Thanks :) I just want a nice project to do over the summer, nice and *cheap* haha and so what if it only gives me 17hp extra as standard. According to general consensus, 10%more HP is when you can notice it. So 17hp is 20%+ more so I'll be able to notice it :D

I think it'll certainly give you more knowledge of engines and ECU work. Be a wheeler dealers style project.

Back