Technical Connect nav+

Currently reading:
Technical Connect nav+

iainbrown

Hi I have a connect nav that does not show any signs of powering up, does any one have any ideas what the problem could be? nothing works? tried another unit and it powers up so must be a fault in the unit itself.:)

If that doesnt work, or you are not confident at taking it apart, send it to me and I can take a look at it. I have repaired quite a few of these now.

Open it up and make sure all the ribbon cables are connected inside. Some of them can work slightly loose.

Do the buttons illuminate or anything?

Ribbon's look ok, nothing illuminates either

Cheers

If that doesnt work, or you are not confident at taking it apart, send it to me and I can take a look at it. I have repaired quite a few of these now.

Hello John,
i have a CN+ with a half-working screen - only the left part of the screen is displayed normally, the right half is gray without any info shown.
My first thought was the ribbon cables, tried to wiggle them but no result.
Does this sound familiar to you ?
Thanks for your help,
yellowstilo

Hello John,
i have a CN+ with a half-working screen - only the left part of the screen is displayed normally, the right half is gray without any info shown.
Thanks for your help,
yellowstilo

The (colour) TFT display is a self sufficient device, it accepts standard RGB / CVBS video signals (NTSC iirc) etc.

The ribbon cable carries the display signal as RGB + SYNC as well as the power etc so the fact that half the screen is half working woiuld mean the problem is with the LCD module itself - not the actual ribbon cable. If the problem was to lie with the ribbon you would get a degraded image or nothing at all.

It may be the display controller IC or the connection between it and the LCD panel itself. They are usually 'sandwiched' together, it may just need stripping down and putting back together.

Hello Dan,
thank you for your explanation and suggestion - i will take the unit apart to separate and reconnect the display and pcb.
I will post here if it was successful!
thanks!

Hello John,
Thanks for your help,
yellowstilo
Never seen that fault before.
I would think it is something in the display drive electronics, on the display itself. Try reseating the connectors or moving the PCB to see if it has a bad connection somewhere.

Never seen that fault before.
I would think it is something in the display drive electronics, on the display itself. Try reseating the connectors or moving the PCB to see if it has a bad connection somewhere.

Well, i dismantled the display, reseated all connectors, pressed all parts on the circuit boards but the fault remains - i'm afraid the display is unrepairable...
If someone has a spare display for sale please let me know-
thanks for your help...

Hello John,
thank you for your offer , however i'm not sure if it's possible to separate and refit the glass from the electronics - the glass is kind of spot-soldered to the circuit board with flexi-foil on a very tiny scale......
If you think it is doable to change the glass (or actual screen??) please send me a price quote for shipping the part to the Netherlands.
Thanks for your help,
yellowstilo

Hello John,
thank you for your offer , however i'm not sure if it's possible to separate and refit the glass from the electronics - the glass is kind of spot-soldered to the circuit board with flexi-foil on a very tiny scale......
If you think it is doable to change the glass (or actual screen??) please send me a price quote for shipping the part to the Netherlands.
Thanks for your help,
yellowstilo

Maybe I am not remembering correctly as it is a while since I took one apart. I thought it was all seperated by connectors, but I guess if you have one in front of you, you are right. Even if your screen is faulty, keep the backlight out of it (and be very careful not to damage it) as that is a very common failure. I am sure you will find a faulty CN+ with a black or barely visible screen, only requiring a new backlight.

Hi no joy with the nav, can't see much wrong, I am happy to send it for you to have a look at, what is your address. One thing i did notice is that my monochrome one has only one 12v feed to it, could this be the problem? Or if any one has any idea's why the nav does not power up please contact me.

Thanks Iain

I have one.
The glass is cracked, but the electronics part should still be OK.
I will test it before sending it if you want it.

Hi John looking for parts, how much are you looking for

Thanks

Iain

Back