Technical Clunking when moving off (or braking)

Currently reading:
Technical Clunking when moving off (or braking)

I'm getting a clunking sound when I'm either moving off from a complete stand still, or braking to a complete stand still. It's coming from under the engine bay and maybe nearer the driver's side wheel.

It's not the brakes, because it happens when I move off. It's not the gear box, because I drop it into neutral before I stop. I can shake the car by hand, but the noise does not occur. It doesn't seem to happen when I hit pot holes either (although perhaps the initial pothole noise masks it). I've tried to shake the engine by hand - no noise either. I'm stumped at the moment as to what could be causing it. Exhaust maybe?

Any one got ideas?

Tony

PS, it's good to be back with new Barchetta problems :) Also, it's quite a heavy noise, not a tapping.

Last edited:
You could try jacking up the car, front n/s and front o/s in turn.

On each jacking select neutral and rotate jacked wheel forwards and backwards. Then select first gear and do the same. This time you will get about 2 to 3 degrees of wheel rotation before hitting a stop. Now quickly rotate the wheel stop to stop.

If you get clunking, clanking etc. then we are now possibly looking at CV joints, differential or other gearbox issues.

I noticed a clunking/knocking from the front of mine the other day after a spirited 200mile drive. I noticed the sound of it bouncing off the walls when I entered a built up area and was pretty concerned as it sounded quite bad.

The lower part of the plastic inner arch had come loose and was hitting the spokes on the inside of the wheel. Took five minutes and a small bolt to sort it. I hope yours is as simple!

same here, some knocking sound when i turn to left, or changing gears, slowing down with engine...
mechanic's says that could be engine mountings or/and worn out shock absorbers.

or as Twilight Johnny Atom says and try to see if repeaters and fog lights are tight...

Last edited:
Back