Technical "Clonk" From NSF

Currently reading:
Technical "Clonk" From NSF

Nicky T

Hi, I have a JTD 105ELX with 85k up that has, according to its previous owner, had the front spring recall done.

If the front suspension tops out (for example when going over a crest at high speed or when going over a pothole), there's an unpleasant clonk coming from the NSF corner of the car, I'm sure it's abnormal as the OSF corner is silent.

Anyone got any ideas as to what this might be?

Thanks very much :)

Nick

to check if re call has been done,ring a fiat dealer with your reg and chassis number,and he can check on the computer if it has been done or if any recalls need doing.
does the car knock on normal driving or going slowly over sleeping police,if so it could be the anti roll bar,link rods to the anti roll bar,or even lower wish bones,get these check out.............pete.

i have had similar problem and replaced most items......................
but it is the antiroll bar bush`s, its a complete bar with bush`s on them...
replace this and that awful clonk should go
lee

The best way to check the anti roll bar bushes is to remove the drop links then check the anti roll bar for up and down movement,and you will feel/see the movement,get it check before fitting an unnecessary roll bar.Not an easy job cos the drop links are usually hard to undo.if its had the spring mod,the top nuts will have been took off already,so may be easier. But this noise is usually heard on normal road conditions,and not just at high speed over brows of hills.

Thanks for the ideas. The noise only ever happens when I jump over a hump-backed bridge :eek: and get the front airborne, or go over a big pothole, i.e. when the front suspension tops out. Other than that it never does it. Hmmmmmmmmmmm *thinks* :(

Thanks for the ideas. The noise only ever happens when I jump over a hump-backed bridge :eek: and get the front airborne, or go over a big pothole, i.e. when the front suspension tops out. Other than that it never does it. Hmmmmmmmmmmm *thinks* :(

....a good idea might be...don't 'jump' over humped back bridges (n) . I don't think Multi's were meant to fly, just stay on the ground...as for pot holes...avoid them as well ;)

Thanks but that's not really the point, is it? I was asking for some tips on fixing, the suspension noise rather than your opinion of the best way to drive my car, if it's all the same to you!;)

could be the 3 mounting bolts are slightly loose.open the bonnet,next to the bonnet hinge on the body is a round rubber bush with a big washer on it[possibly gold or silver in colour]. 3 x 13mm bolts and washers around the rubber bush,check they are tight,also check the 17mm nut on top of the big washer.if both sides are tight,jack the front wheels up in turn and check that you cannot lift the wheels up,once lifted from the floor.put hand brake on and put some thing under the chassis [ bricks or wood] in case the car rolls forward off the jack,especially if you use the jack supplied with the car.failing that take it to a garage and let them check it out before it gets worse and causes damage........

I've just had my anti-roll bar drop links replaced (!?), a complete transformation on the knocking noise situation. Not too expensive, but I had a wishbone replaced at the same time which was more costly.

What sort of cost is the anti roll bar as I am suffering the same fate?

Mags

I've got similar clunks!. At 90,000miles on my 2000 110JTD I have changed both wishbones, both drop links & had spring recall done. Suppose that only leaves the loose shock mount nuts or the complete Roll Bar then? Piece of advice,- if you do wishbones yourself & by parts off Ebay not fiat, inspect the aluminium mounts very closely against originals. I found it necessary to file the top edge to a rounded surface so that the corner of the wishbone mount would fit under the anti-roll bar cleanly & line up properly with the tapped screw holes..took hours to realise this was the problem though.

Back