Technical Check engine

Currently reading:
Technical Check engine

Slave1

I have a bit of a quandary.

I have the check engine light on and have taken it to my favorite Fiat service center. Their diagnostic computer is saying that its the Lambda sensor.

He's where the quandary starts. I also get a warning about engine coolant temperature on first start in the morning (not every day) which I understand is an error resolved in a software update. My garage can't do the software update, a chain of dealers want to charge £70 to do the update.

What's worrying me is, could the faulty software be incorrectly saying there's a fault with the lambda sensor? I don't want to pay £108 for the sensor to be replaced if the software is the actual fault.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

How old is the car? and did you buy it from the dealer?
You might be able to argue the toss for an update that has to be done. If not then get the update done first.

It's an 06 plate that i bought new from Reg Vardy. They were bought out by Evans Halshaw and branch doesnt exist anymore.

may not just be an update. depending on the software number the ecu may need to be replaced. this update dosent effect the lambda

Just because the ECU says it's a lambda sensor fault, doesn't mean it's correct in it's own diagnosis. I hope the garage you're using have done the necessary wiring/scope checks to confirm the fault is the sensor (and which one- above or below the catalyst).

Re: Software update- you may be able to plead your case with Fiat's Customer Care dept. for getting it done FOC, or at a discount (although to be fair, it's not a 'serious' fault). Your case would be helped greatly if you had a full Fiat service history.

Its always been serviced at a Fiat service centre (to keep the waranty sweet) but not at regular intervals. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet this week, I haven't driven it for about 5 weeks and our Scenic doesn't seem to know how expebsive petrol is now. :)

If they replace the lambda sensor and i still have the fault then that's their issue not mine surely. I'm not asking them to replace the lambda, I'm asking them to fix the "Check engine" issue.

Back