Charity Skydive

Currently reading:
Charity Skydive

Has anyone ever done a tandem skydive for charity? I am thinking of doing one in November close to my (significant ;) ) birthday. It will be for the Mayhew Animal Home and the venue is a place in Northampton where my son did a skydive a few years ago with a group from work.

They didnt do it for charity so I am especially looking for insight from anyone that has?

Has anyone ever done a tandem skydive for charity? I am thinking of doing one in November close to my (significant ;) ) birthday. It will be for the Mayhew Animal Home and the venue is a place in Northampton where my son did a skydive a few years ago with a group from work.

If I sponsor you, am I allowed to come and watch...? :D

BTW: I think you're really brave doing this.... :worship:

i don't think its quite £400 but you do have to raise a lot to make it worth while other wise the sky diving company will basically take every penny you raise making the whole thing not worth while.

there was also a paper published in the Lancet not that long back (can't find it now) that suggested for every £100 raise the NHS pays out £2000 in treatment on those with fairly minor injuries as a result of landing badly being squashed by the tandem person or having new vocal cords fitted when you scream the old ones out

A colleague did this and I am extremely jealous of her, I wanna do it.

They insisted your weight was under 15 stone so I'm unable to do it :(

Apparently it was exhilarating, fun and oh so cool.

They didnt do it for charity so I am especially looking for insight from anyone that has?

I did one. Last month. What do you want to know? :)

if you want to see the video ill stick that on too :D

IMG_1828.JPGIMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1992.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have spoken to the Mayhew and they have a company that they use for people who want to do a jump on their behalf. I just have a few issues with it.

Firstly I want to use the place on Northampton because its logistically convenient and my son and his friend have both jumped from there. This other company have places all over the country but not as close to me as Northampton. Besides, I may try and persuade Stu to do a jump too ;)

But the main reason is the price. The company that the Mayhew use want £70 deposit, then a FURTHER £185 on the day. Total £255. When I was looking at the site, the total came in at even more than that as they snuck in another £30 by the time it got to the payment page.

The place in Northampton charge £200 total, you can also get it for £180 each for two or more people and my son said that if you can jump on a Wednesday its £165. The deposit is £50 and the BALANCE is payable on the day.

I have an issue with companies that appear to be supporting charities but are actually not giving them the best deal. The more the jump costs, the less the Mayhew will get so out of principal I will not be using them.

So that leaves me to deal with this myself and thats what I wanted help with. Do I just set up my own 'Go Fund Me' page and just give the money raised to the Mayhew when its all done? I would really like their support in getting sponsorship, they have a website and FB page etc, but if they are tied into a contract with this company that they use then they may not be able to do that.

My son got the video when he did his, it looked amazing! He said that although it was the summer it was FREEZING up there, and I plan to do this in November so I will be buying thermals. I also need a doctors note because I am over 40!

If anyone wants to do their own jump at the same time to get discounts then please PM me.

Get yourself and t'other a mobius camera, from what my colleague said the video cost her another £100 !

Skydive is tomorrow, I am doing it here: http://www.ukskydiving.com/book/

Its £165 to jump on a Wednesday, the cheapest I could find. I arranged it myself as that was cheaper than these companies that cream off a profit for liaising with the charity. A bit of a trek for me to get there but I plan to leave at around 5am so the A1 should be pretty clear. Its first come first to jump and I have been told that if you get there as late as 9am you will end up sitting around all day and be the last to jump hence the early start.

Thank you so much to those who have sponsored me, I will post some pics when I am back :)

Last edited:
It was awesome, but I think I passed out just before I landed. When we were on the descent I felt light headed and the instructor said keep taking deep breaths and focus on the horizon, which I did - then when we were about 10 metres off the ground I knew I had to pull my legs up to land but the next thing I knew I was laying flat out face down on the ground looking at the grass. The instructor was on top of me. My kids were watching and said I was there for a couple of mins before I actually got up and I have no recollection of landing. Then I heard someone say 'I think we have killed her'. :)

Attachments

• P1000951.JPG
    P1000951.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • P1000954.JPG
    P1000954.JPG
    867.1 KB · Views: 15
  • P1000956.JPG
    P1000956.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • P1000981.JPG
    P1000981.JPG