Technical Car problems since December

Currently reading:
Technical Car problems since December

tdodd1991

I took my car in for a service in December before Christmas. I got it back the same day, drove fine and suddenly in the evening the problems started.
Th EML came on, it would not go about 15 MPH and would jit and judder along the road.
I took it to the garage who replaced the spark plugs and ignition coil but this didn't fix the issue, it got taken to a fiat dealership who did the same thing who claimed they'd fixed it and when we got it back each time the EML would come on and it would jit and judder along the road, although my wife could drive it back ok about 40 minutes at 70mph just the next day it would go wrong.
The original garage thought it was a twin air module so I'm now thinking I should've done that in the first place.

I took my car in for a service in December before Christmas
Was it working fine before the service?
The original garage thought it was a twin air module
My first thought is did they use the correct oil?

The TA is known to run poorly if serviced using the wrong oil.

so I'm now thinking I should've done that in the first place.

Given that doing this is going to cost you £1000+, you need to be certain it's the cause of your issues.

TA modules have been known to fail, but if it was running properly before the service, I'd be looking at the oil first.

Last edited:
Eh up,

I’ve had years of experience from the mk1 panda 4x4 to the next generation to the TA.

The oil plays more than a significant part IMO

I’d double check the type specification used SeLina, Petnronas are the only ones I use.

The TA is sensative to oil spec in my view

HTH

Eh up,

I’ve had years of experience from the mk1 panda 4x4 to the next generation to the TA.

The oil plays more than a significant part IMO

I’d double check the type specification used SeLina, Petnronas are the only ones I use.

The TA is sensative to oil spec in my view

HTH
I took my car in for a service in December before Christmas. I got it back the same day, drove fine and suddenly in the evening the problems started.
Th EML came on, it would not go about 15 MPH and would jit and judder along the road.
I took it to the garage who replaced the spark plugs and ignition coil but this didn't fix the issue, it got taken to a fiat dealership who did the same thing who claimed they'd fixed it and when we got it back each time the EML would come on and it would jit and judder along the road, although my wife could drive it back ok about 40 minutes at 70mph just the next day it would go wrong.
The original garage thought it was a twin air module so I'm now thinking I should've done that in the first place.

Hi, 🙂

Around 100,000 miles of twinairs here,

Oil is important, and unfortunately ANY misfire will just log as a misfire (per cylinder)
So plugs, coils often get changed before deeper investigation

What is the longterm history of this panda?

Years of Selenia then a change of garage..

Or mix n match for its life with you?

I've had one of each..

Nothing major, but certainly seen oil make a big enough change - that I've not seen in "conventional" 4 cylinder FIRE motors

Seeing that you're in Cambridge, have a chat with The Fiat Workshop Royston -- they are probably the best independent Fiat experts for many miles around, and, dare I say it, much more likely to be able to solve the problem using well informed mechanics, genuine parts and the correct oils, rather than 'dealer trained technicians' who tend not to know how to fix things, they follow instructions from a computer that is often wrong :)

it was definitely working fine before the service, it was the evening after the service that it went wrong.

Back