500L Car going into Limp mode while driving

Currently reading:
500L Car going into Limp mode while driving

carriewalker1456

Hi,

I need help, my car goes into Limp mode while driving, from 75 miles to zero.

I am having to pull over to side of the road and cut car off and restart and it works. But sometimes I am not able to do that and pray no one rear end me while sitting in middle of highway restarting the car.

I taken it to one shop after another and replace Turbo Charger and sensor and ABS modular and nothing is working.

I am getting lots of errors messages.

I call the local dealer and they say they can not reprogram my computer only updates. I have all the updates.

Feel like it a shortage in computer because to get by going is just a restart.

I do not know what to do next. I see all over the internet where this is happening but no answer to what to do to fix.

Help in Texas.

Hi that sounds it will be a small fault that might take some tracking down.
I would first check the battery and its connections especially the earth/ground lead to the engine and the alternator can play up. there are a number of small things that will put you in the get me home mode crank sensor and the air mass sensor (which can be cleaned) are old favourites.

Hello Carrie and welcome to the forums.
Sorry to hear you have some bother which, as you suggest could be potentially dangerous.

I'd second everything that Telegraph has already suggested; check the battery terminals are tight (and that they are not corroded - clean off any corrosion with an abrasive such as Scotch-Brite).
Same with the earthing strap from the engine to the chassis/bodywork, make sure its not broken or the connections are not corroded and that its on securely. (I had a friend with an Alfa Romeo years ago that had no end of problems because of the engine/bodywork earth strap).

I personally favour using a battery terminal grease such as Liqui-Moly on all electrical connections to inhibit future corrosion.

Then, as Telegraph suggests start looking at the sensors. Sometimes when these become old and get hot they start acting up.

Last edited:
Back